21

Emma;

Emma;

"Hello?" I answer the number on my office phone cautiously not sure who it was. I had returned to the office to gain some normality and to see Daniella; I hadn't seen her in a couple months and I knew she'd want to hear all about tour. Daniella had been pursuing her own jobs which I was so happy about. She is far too good to be my assistant forever.

"Hi Emma. It's me." I frown at my fathers voice. I hadn't heard from him in around seven months. We have a strained relationship and it's never been the same since he walked out on mum and ordered a divorce.

"Oh.. hi dad. You okay?"

"I er.. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch.. truly I am."

"It's okay I mean, I haven't either." It does work both ways, I just assumed he didn't want to speak to me.

"I.. saw you're back with Harry."

I swallow. "I'm touring with him. And we're slowly giving us a go,"

"I'm glad,"

I could tell by the awkward silence that he wanted to speak to me about something. I knew my dad too well. My dad was once my idol, my bestfriend, my confidant. I had a great relationship with both of my parents growing up. Being an only child I was spoilt with both of their attention. There was once nothing I wouldn't do for my dad.

The moment he walked away for a woman he knew for five minutes was the moment I lost all respect for him.

"Dad, what have you called me for? I know there's something wrong and I'd prefer if you just said it."

He clears his throat at my bluntness. He knew I wasn't the type to beat around the bush.

"I'm.. I'm ill, Emma."

I stop playing with my pen.

"Ill in what way?"

At that moment Daniella walked in singing as she held our lunch in one hand drinks in another. I shake my head at her and hold up my hand, she takes it as a cue to shut up and sit quietly.

"There's a tumour,"

I close my eyes. "Right,"

"It's spread, and.. continuing to do so."

"Can't the doctors stop it?"

He takes in a deep breath.

"How.. how long has this been going on dad?"

He exhales and I know he's been keeping it from me. "Why didn't you tell me?" I cry.