22

Emma;

Emma;

When I arrived at dads, Katie answered the door. "Your dads on his way back, he's just finished up a meeting," She tried to smile but I don't smile back. I simply walk in, heading for the living room.

I place Alex down beside me, he had a carrot stick in one hand that he was chewing on and a police car in the other.

It felt weird to be in this house. I'd say I'd only been here four or five times before. I felt no attachment to it, I didn't feel how I felt about mums house. When I walked into mums it was home, everything about it was home.

But this house made me almost feel empty.

"Would you like a drink? Tea, coffee, juice?" Katie asks politely, standing at the door waiting for an answer.

"Oh tea please. Milk and no sugar,"

"And.."

"Alex," I inform her, she had only ever met me once, I hadn't brought Alex when she met me the first time round.

"Drink?"

"Juice is fine, thanks."

She nods and quickly scurries to the kitchen. She was short, a lot shorter than mum. Dad always said I was blessed to have such tall parents, my dads easily 6ft2 and my mum is around 5ft8.

Katie however I'd say is 5"6 - she was smaller than me. She's younger than my mum and dad - late thirties I'd say. Her auburn hair that's softly curled makes her look older though - just my opinion.

"Here you are," She brings our drinks in on a little tray and I thank her.

"How was the journey up here yesterday?" She asks.

"It was okay, quite long." I nod.

"Mummy, juice?" Alex frowns.

I nod. "It is juice baby, want some?"

He smiles as I hand it to him.

"How is London?" Katie asks. It felt very uncomfortable trying to have a conversation with her, but it would feel even worse sitting in silence.

"It's okay. We like it," I smile down at Alex who was playing and drinking his juice. "Alex is settled."

She nods and I hear the front door open.

My dad walks in slowly, leaning on his walking stick - that was a new addition. He looked frail, weak. It didn't really look like my dad at all.

"Darling," He smiled.

I stand and walk to him, I hug him tight. I feel a tear slip down my cheek as I feel how thin he'd gotten - even through his thick jumper.

"You okay?" I ask stepping back allowing him to sit down. I see the wince when he sits down and realise he's in more pain than he's letting on.