Chapter 1.

A/N: As with all my stories, it will start off a little bit slow, I'm sorry but I swear it'll get into things! :D Enjoy!

***

Nalini wasn't a strong person. She had always been sensitive, even if she tried not to show it. Tried, being the key word. It never worked because she would always end up acting childishly. It was a flaw of hers that she could never get rid of.

Her dark flaw stood out in that moment where she stared down at her grandfather with tears streaming down her cheeks.

In the years that they had 'looked after' one another, this was the first time he had fainted and she couldn't help but worry immensely at how pale and lifeless her grandpa looked. And no matter how many times she showed her love and had been there for him, he still despised her and blamed her for her parents' death.

Nalini knew what had happened back then wasn't her fault, but he had never given her the benefit of the doubt.

He showed his hate through abuse; he never touched her, but he never missed a day without verbally attacking her. From her body to her face to her life and future—it was all mocked by him.

Sometimes, when she got really mad and fired back at him, he would go as far as to lock her out the front door and not give her food for that day.

It was only until recently that the abuse stopped, for some strange reason. She was kind of afraid that he was planning something, but she didn't think her grandpa was that evil.

Her eyes bounced back to her his figure when he began to stir. When his eyes opened and settled on her face, his relaxed face, tensed and his eyes narrowed.

She tried to ignore the sharp glare he was sending her way and spoke.

"How are you now, grandpa?"

Ignoring her, he pushed himself up on the hospital bed.

She hurriedly stepped forward to help him sit up, but he snatched his hands away from hers and turned his body away as if her presence repulsed him. The reaction caused a sharp jab in her heart and she slowly withdrew her hands, eyes burning.

Nalini, instead, settled on analysing his face as he stared down at his lap, his hands shaking. He looked horrible; he had dark circles under his eyes and his body was thinner than a twig. His face was a sickly grey in colour.

"Grandpa?" she asked, her voice softly wavering with doubt.

"Don't call me that," came the hoarse voice emanating bitterness. "I stopped becoming your grandfather the moment you killed them, you stupid child."

Nalini ignored that. She resisted the urge to reach out and grip her grandpa's hand, to hold it tight. Even though he was abusive with his words and neglected her many times, she didn't want to lose the only family she had left in her life.

As the door to the room opened, a petite nurse walked in. Nalini immediately looked over at her, in hopes of hearing something good about her grandpa's condition. The nurse's mellow eyes met hers.

"There's no need to worry, honey," she said as Nalini began to fidget, "he's completely fine and he's good to go home right away."

Her shoulders sagged in relief and she let out a deep breath, her tight muscles loosening up almost instantly. She was almost certain that the nurse was going to say the complete opposite of what she actually said.

But what came out of her mouth brought great relief to her because if something had happened to him, she wouldn't know what to do–she would be left alone in that dark house, or even be made to fend for herself out in the streets.