Chapter 23.

After that awkward scene in the park a few days ago, Nalini and the Duke didn't talk on the way back home. They didn't talk about what had happened then or even now. It seemed only the two of them knew, as well.

Today, Nalini was free as Richard was entertaining himself in the play-room. Nora and herself had been given the orders to bake a cake for some guests that were to come whilst the chef had worked and finished the snacks and sandwiches.

It seemed that parties and balls were all that happened nowadays.

Anyhow, the prospect of baking a cake was still exciting. It was called 'Victoria Sponge' and though Nalini had no idea what it was or how to make it, with Nora helping her with the ingredients, she was getting by.

Since Will, the cook, was relaxing on his break, it meant that the kitchen was all theirs for a couple of hours. Speaking of which, the kitchen was certainly old-fashioned. She had never seen anything like it back home in India and when she stepped foot in it, it was as if she was being whisked back into the past even though she was actually in the past.

There was one long rectangular table situated a few steps away from the wall, a coal oven stove behind it and black and white brick walls covering the entirety of the space, giving the area a dim, eerie vibe.

Shuddering, she turned back to mixing the dry ingredients slowly. Baking had never been her strong suit, but she was enjoying it. The only thing freaking her out was the fact that the Duke was going to eat it. She didn't want to poison the man.

"Are you alright?" Nora bent her head down, peering into her eyes. "You look very serious."

Nalini was yanked away from her thoughts. She couldn't believe she was thinking about him when she was making cake! "N-No, I'm fine. I was just thinking about...life."

"Ah, don't we all?"

"It's something I'd rather not think about."

"Really?" Nora gasped as she cracked an egg into a separate bowl. "Life is full of surprises, do you not think? I love a life of romance and though the reality is never close to it, one can always fantasise."

"Even in my fantasies I don't see something like romance happening to me," Nalini whispered, mostly to herself.

But, of course, Nora had managed to hear it. "Surely you jest, Nalini! You can always fantasise about His Grace."

At that comment, she gasped, her hand that held the wooden spoon freezing. Her wide eyes met with her cheekily smiling friend. "Nora!" she scolded, eyes glancing behind her and at the door before lowering her voice down to a whisper, "You can't say things like that!"

"And why not? We all know His Grace is the most good-looking out of all the men here in Birmingham. He is also an eligible bachelor."

"All that is very very wrong. For one, he is not an eligible bachelor. I've heard him say he's not looking for anyone myself!"

"Aha!" Nora exclaimed, eyes wide in realisation. "You admit he is good-looking, do you not?"

Nalini squeezed her eyes shut. Dang it, she had been caught; her and her foolish mouth always had to go off and say the wrong thing.

"No, no! You're getting the wrong idea here," she stammered out. Nora hummed knowingly, her lips curving up into a coy smile.

"Oh, am I now? Do not worry, I won't tell anyone."

Nalini refused the urge to slap her forehead and shook her head, smiling to herself. "You're impossible."

Nora giggled, nudging her shoulder. "Of course I am."