Chapter 27.

Alastair watched as the Indian woman left with Edward, hand placed in the crook of his elbow. His eyes narrowed, unbeknownst to him, as he sipped some wine. The woman was starting to romance the younger brother of Landon and he resisted the urge to scoff, bitterly.

He could not help but let Lady Appleton's words ring in his ears. She had defended his behaviour despite there being no reason for her to. But, what of her? Alastair could only snort in bitter amusement; there was no room for her in his hard heart. Yet, he could not stop thinking about her.

Nalini was infuriating but kind, he knew, and he did not doubt that for a second. He could feel his shoulders and torso loosening slightly as the tension ebbed away. She was important to him, he realised, and now, all he wanted was to speak to her privately and let her know that.

"Why must you glare so hatefully at them, Alastair?" The teasing voice of Nathaniel flooded his ears and he clenched his jaw as he looked at his friend. Nathaniel's eyes glinted with amusement.

"I was not gl—"

"Are you envious of their relationship?"

Alastair's grip on his glass tightened and he rubbed his temple with his free hand. "I do not care for whatever relationship they have," he spoke truthfully. "She may do as she wishes when it does not involve Richard or my good name."

His eyes narrowed into slits as both Nathaniel and Charlotte shared a knowing glance. "So you say you are not annoyed?"

"No," he spat through gritted teeth. Alastair growled under his breath as they both chuckled as if they could see through to his mind. "Enough," he snapped. "I have had enough of your foolishness." Shooting a glare at the two, who were still laughing amongst themselves, he stiffly walked away.

Of course, just in time, Chastity sidled up to him with a seductive smirk.

"I was hoping to get you alone, actually," she said, latching onto his arm like an overenthusiastic puppy.

Alastair held his breath to stop himself from detaching himself from the irritating woman and throwing her out of a window. He ground his teeth together as he glanced down spitefully at the woman batting her eyelashes at him.

"What is it that you want, Lady Ainsworth?" he asked, trying to be as polite as possible.

"I just wanted to know why you were indulging in Lady Appleton and her pes—I mean, quite interesting niece?"

"That is, quite frankly, none of your business," he said, blandly. Chastity stuttered to keep her composure, then, eyes wide as if she could not believe that he had talked to her in such a way. Alastair but kept his wooden expression, hoping to steer the woman away from him. "Now if you will excuse me, I have some urg—"

"I apologise for my rude behaviour just then but, I meant to ask for a dance, I promise." She smiled adoringly at him and he resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Before he could comprehend it, she had dragged him to the main floor.

He didn't even bother forcing a smile as she placed her hands on his shoulders, pulling herself close to him. The close proximity caused his lips to curl up into a sneer but he tried to relax his face.

People were watching. He observed people he knew and didn't know, and didn't quite care to know, observing them. Lady Appleton stood by with a smirk on her face whereas Nathaniel and Charlotte shook their heads with pitiful frowns.

Alastair could feel the veins in his neck bulging, feel his body smouldering in resentment towards the woman in front of him but mostly...to himself. The ton always watched and he never bothered to smooth things over with them when he had the chance. He articulated to the people of his behaviour once upon a time but, he had gotten tired once Adelia's reputation was ruined; he could have spoken up. And yet, he did not. The ton believed what they wanted to, no matter how many answers were given.