Chapter 35.

PLEASE READ THE END OF CHAPTER A/N SO I CAN CLEAR UP ALL THE CONFUSION! 

***

As the days went by, Nalini found herself becoming happier and happier. The Duke was showing her that he was a kind-hearted man deep down now more than ever. She would find him staring at her when he wasn't occupied with anything.

Though before she wanted him to notice her, now that he did, it only made her shy. She could never look him in the eye, and at the small hint of a smile that framed his face, she knew that he knew that she was embarrassed.

The feeling was new and exciting - even though she wasn't sure if it would last because he never told her he loved her, she wanted to hold onto the tiny bit of hope that was in her heart.

As she watched Richard play out in the front with his new friend from before, Eliza, she stopped short and turned her head when she heard the trotting of some horses and wheels rumbling across the rocky concrete.

The carriage looked unfamiliar but the people that came out weren't. Chastity and two people that looked like they were in their 50's stepped down from the carriage. Nalini tried to smile a little, despite the little commotion they both had last time they had met.

She wasn't sure of Chastity anymore and her stomach churned, as if in warning so she kept her distance. Luckily, and also disappointingly, Chastity didn't even acknowledge her, nor did the people that Nalini assumed to be her parents. They walked right past her and Richard without so much as a glance.

After a few minutes of practically doing nothing, the Duke came out of the manor with Chastity rushing to keep up with him and her parents behind them whispering to each other excitedly.

They were all wearing luxurious and silk woven outfits that Nalini could only ever dream about. What she found even more surprising was the fact that the Duke walked past her and didn't bother to glance at her. His expression was terse and pinched as if he didn't even want to be there anymore.

She understood that there were more important matters at hand, but considering Chastity and her parents were also there, something at the back of her mind told her that she was up to no good.

Nalini was hesitant to leave and waited until the Duke and the others were all seated. She wanted to take Richard and Eliza inside herself but she knew the right thing was to stand beside the Duke in case they needed anything.

Nalini looked at Richard. "You go on ahead, Richard, I'll be right there," she said.

"Do you need any help? That lady looks scary!" he replied, his eyes holding fear as he glanced at the people behind her.

Nalini smiled. "What would you do if she tried to hurt me?" she teased.

He, however, didn't pick up on the fact that she was playing around with him and instead puffed out his chest. "I will defend you, Miss! I'm very strong, just like daddy!" He tried to look menacing by furrowing his eyebrows and forcing a sneer on his face, causing his cheeks to puff out with the efforts.

The pure thought and action of the child caused her heart to swell with genuine love. If she could love him even more than she already did, she would have just then. She knew that he cared for her in his own, innocent way and it made her feel as if she was not alone.

Eliza nodded eagerly beside him. "He is very strong, Miss Nalini! If I was that lady, I would run far far away!"

"See?" Richard began happily, bouncing on his heels. "Eliza thinks so too! I wanna help you and become your knight!"