Epilogue

19 years later

They lay in bed together, the orange candlelight flickering in the room. It was midday—a very silent day for Nalini and her husband. The servants all gave the Duke and his Duchess the privacy they needed and never once stepped into his room.

She, herself, had only stepped into the room once before they were married and that was when she was cleaning his shoes. Now it had become a habit and she never thought twice about it. She smiled internally at the memory. Who knew then that she would become the Duke's wife? It had been nineteen years since she had arrived. They were growing and learning together, as they had promised.

The fears she held were only ever doubts, truly. Nalini never felt alone or lonely; Alastair was always beside her, to give her comfort and love throughout the night.

His large hand ran down the length of her bare back as she snuggled into him. She lay an arm across his chest. "Do you miss home, my dear?"

They always had this conversation. Not everyday, but some days when they were caught up in their own thoughts. Somehow the years had flown by, and both their children had grown up.

Nalini thought back to her years in India and a wistful smile took over. "I miss the family I used to have. I miss my grandfather, no matter how cruel he was, but I don't wish to go back. I don't have anyone or anything left there, even if it was once my home." She gazed into Alastair's face. He was looking down at her, soft blue-bell eyes scanning hers. "Now I have you, Richard and Beau. You're all I need." He leaned down and placed a feathery kiss on her lips. "I can't go back like this, anyway."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"I am old."

He narrowed his eyes. "You seem to forget that I am 191 years elder to you," he drawled. "Truly, I am the one who is old." She laughed, the frown on her face at how quickly the time seemed to go, vanishing. Right at that moment, she heard Beau's voice downstairs.

"He's come back from his private lessons," she said. "Maybe Richard is with him?"

"Richard is off attending to matters elsewhere."

The edge to his tone told her that it wasn't something she was supposed to push. She wanted to, of course, as she always did, but the darkness that clouded his face, this was different. "I see." Alastair buried his hair into her neck, small peppering of grey in his hair catching the candle light. "Beau asked me to tell you he wanted to talk to you," she said slowly. He had begged her a few days ago, telling her that he wanted to do something other than go to school.

Of course, doing nothing herself as the Duchess, she knew how that felt.

"The boy is fifteen," Alastair said with a sigh. He moved away and lifted her palm to his mouth and pressed a kiss against it. "He should not be worried about the matters of estate so soon."

"Seeing Richard, I think he wants to be useful as well."

Alastair hummed. "He is more than useful. He is my son and I care for him regardless of his involvement in his duties. I would rather him focus on being literate."

"I think it'll do him good if he hears that from you."

"I will soon enough." He sighed. "I suppose I have been a little neglectful lately."