Chapter 25.

Living in 1840 was definitely interesting. It could be boring sometimes, as it was right then. Nalini had dined alone in the playroom before walking down to help Nora with the chores. The help walked in and out of the kitchen, looking particularly busy and she was joyous that she was just employed to be the governess and not anything else.

"I am not surprised Lady Delaney is smitten with His Grace. As I have said to you before, he is quite the eligible bachelor."

Nalini shook her head and continued scrubbing the piles of plates. "Yes, well, as I've told you before, he isn't an eligible bachelor, at all! The way in which that poor girl ran out crying wasn't enough for you?"

Her only friend let out a sad sigh, strands of blonde hair escaping from her ponytail as she worked. There was a pout on her full lips. "How sad. I was not able to witness this nor was I able to partake in the part as I was too busy, what with the chores I was given by the housekeeper, one would not have finished until the century!"

Nalini giggled. "At least you have me to tell you all the details."

"Yes, my dear, strange speaking friend," she said with her chin held high, a grin gracing her face, "I am glad I have you by my side. Gossip cures boredom, after all."

"Of course. We have nothing better to do, huh?"

"Right you are."

"Nalini, you must settle Richard into bed, have you forgotten?" one of the maids scuttled into the kitchen, blinking rapidly. She glanced over her shoulder and spoke in a hushed tone, "You best get going now; the housekeeper is on her way!"

Both Nora and Nalini shared a look at that. Though the woman was rarely seen around the house, mainly because it was huge, she got around a lot. And she was intimidating as she had served the Duke's family for years, apparently. She angered the Duke quite a lot, but the last thing she wanted to do was infuriate this old lady, as well.

"You best get going, Nalini," Nora whispered, taking the plate from her wrinkly hands. "I do not want to get you into trouble."

"We'll talk later."

"I know we will. Perhaps next time we chat, it is when we are both a part of interesting gossip."

"Perhaps!" Nalini added, feeling oddly satisfied with herself for speaking in the way she had. The way they spoke, though it was English, was hard for her. English wasn't her first language so having to decode their accent, as well as the terms, were difficult. Then again, she supposed they felt the same when she spoke. She could tell when they squinted their eyes and focused on her lips that sometimes, they had no idea what she was really referring to, either.

It was as if they were all speaking sign language.

Nalini shook her head and raced out of the kitchen and up the stairs to where Richard was situated. He was twisting and turning in his bed, and she hurried over, placing herself on the edge of the bed, holding his warm shoulders.

"What's the matter?"

"I can't sleep," he mumbled, frowning. She offered a placid smile. 

"It's alright, Richard," she said, stroking his hair, "I'll sit here beside you until you fall asleep."

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart."

His eyes flashed with confusion then. "What does that mean, Miss?"

"It's a little saying where I'm from. It means that I will follow up on my promise no matter what."

He let out a wide smile, a little giggle leaving his lips. "Cross my heart!" he repeated, a little louder. "I like it."