Chapter 14.

Richard appeared to Nalini bright and early in the morning, letting her know that the Duke wanted to see her. Before she could ask the little boy what he wanted, he had run off with a giggle. Nalini slowly walked down the stairs and to the study. Taking a deep breath, she knocked once on the door. A deep 'Come in' rumbled inside and she pushed the door open.

The Duke looked up from a pile of papers and placed his dip pen to the side. He intertwined his hands together and placed his elbows on the table in front of him. His dark blue eyes never wavered from Nalini's.

"Sit down," he said, his voice rough and unemotional.

Nalini hesitantly walked forwards and seated herself in the plush maroon seat that was situated in front of his desk.

The Duke stared at her for a couple of seconds, making her uncomfortable with his intense gaze.

"I had called you here t—"

A knock stopped him from saying anything further. The Duke's eyes looked over her head and at the door and his eyebrows furrowed in irritation.

Taking in a deep breath through his nose, he leaned back in his chair. "Come in."

The door opened and Nalini turned to see an unfamiliar person come through it. The young man subtly winked at her, a smirk growing on his face when she immediately turned away. The Duke, on the other hand, froze, his whole body rigid and his eyes fixed over her head.

"You do not look too happy to see me, Alastair," the man said, sarcastically. "But I apologise; I didn't realise you had...company."

His gaze and demeanour spoke of self-control compared to the Duke's whose eyes glinted with dangerous fury.

"Leave before I make you, Landon."

His voice was threatening and low. Nalini shivered. He didn't seem like a man who wasn't incapable of going through with his threats.

Landon chuckled humourlessly. "And why is that? I did apologise for interrupting your conversation with a mere slave but come on, Alastair. We are friends are we not?"

Slave?

Nalini was shocked at how rude the man was. She may be nothing compared to these royals, but that didn't mean he had to address her like that.

"You're mistaken because I'm not a slave. But even if I was, you shouldn't treat me as if I'm lesser to you," she spoke up, looking at Landon pointedly.

She realised her mistake after both men turned their attention to her, the room silent. Her eyes widened.

"Oh, so the slave has a mind of her own, how wonderful," he said, his smirk widening. "I do admire your fire, however. You must come to my house some time."

"N-No, thank you," Nalini muttered to herself, suddenly afraid. She looked away almost immediately in disgust. This Landon person was a horrible man, she realised. Now she was starting to see why the Duke was being hostile towards him.

The Duke clenched his jaw but let out a humourless chuckle of his own. "I will not have you barge into my house and insult my employees. Do yourself a favour and get out," he said in the calmest manner Nalini had ever seen him in.

Her eyes widened and she hid a smile as Landon bristled near the door. The smirk on his face had left was replaced with a frown as the Duke sat casually, staring at him fiercely.

"I just wanted to speak to you about the next ball, is all," Landon said, forcing a smile.

The Duke then glanced at Nalini and grabbed something out from the drawer beside his desk. Taking out an envelope, he handed it to her.