Chapter 15.

Nalini stared wide-eyed at the man in front of her. The Duke watched her with impatient eyes as he trailed her features carefully. With hesitation, he cleared his throat and opened his mouth.

"I had called you in this morning to inquire," he let out a rough sigh, "whether you would fancy accompanying me to a ball on the morrow."

It wasn't stated as a question - more of a demand but Nalini furrowed her eyebrows, confused at his sudden change in behaviour. Also, she didn't entirely understand what he was saying at first but from the words 'ball' and 'accompany', she had a small idea of what it could be.

He was yelling at her just this afternoon for breathing the same air as Landon, and now he wanted to take her to a ball?

"No thank you, I'd rather stay here," she said, rejecting his offer completely. She didn't miss the way the muscle in his cheek began to twitch and the fact that his lips set into a thin, angry line.

Before she closed the door, he placed his hand on it with a loud thump, preventing her from doing anything. "I must apologise for my behaviour this afternoon."

He didn't look like he was enjoying saying sorry to her but she took pleasure in seeing him uncomfortable. It looked like something he didn't do very often and that made her feel...well, slightly special.

"You can see it as a token of forgiveness if you desire, but I require you to accompany me to the ball," he stated, his voice deep and low.

Nalini pretended to mull it over. She was scared to go to a ball where there was no one but white people. But she had to admit: it also sounded like fun. She had never been to a ball in her life, and this was a small opportunity she was probably never going to get.

So she slowly nodded. "I forgive you, Your Grace," she said, nearly snickering at the way his eyes darkened in anger. "And I'll come with you to the ball."

He inclined his head stiffly, his expression stony once again and he turned to walk away. "I shall have a maid retrieve you when the time has come tomorrow."

Nalini had so many questions - about the dress, about what to say and how to act, but before she could voice any of her concerns, he was gone.

She sighed and shut the door, leaning against it. How quickly things had changed for her - she didn't know, but things had somehow. She didn't know whether she was supposed to feel delighted or afraid.

***

The next morning was just like any other. She helped in the kitchen, taught Richard the proper manner in which to talk even though she didn't know the manners of speaking in this time period.

But she went with the flow since he was too small to question it anyway. After that, she went back to her room to take a shower.

Throughout the entire day, she didn't see the Duke or hear from him at all. She supposed it was her luck but at the same time, it was weird going a whole day without actually seeing him around. Standing on top of the stairwell, she looked out at everything.

Being there in the manor, in England, still felt unreal. It all felt like a strange dream. Nalini walked down the stairs and when she turned, she saw Richard lying stomach down on the beautifully patterned carpet in the living room.

"Richard, are you ready to read to-"

He shook his head and sulked on the floor. "Miss Nora is reading to me today, Miss," he said, with a cute frown.

Nalini furrowed her eyebrows. She wasn't going to lie - she felt disappointed too, but she was confused as to why the sudden change.

Just when she was about to ask, Nora appeared from the kitchen with a plate of sandwiches and sat down next to Richard, placing the plates beside him.