Chapter 19.

The only place where she could now live seemed to be back in England. Even if she had to face the abuse of the Duke, she was known there.

Cared for by Nora, Edward and Richard.

That was enough for her and in time, they could ease the pain deep in her heart.

At least, she hoped.

Completely numb, she stared down at the well. She didn't want to jump back but she didn't really think she had a choice. This wasn't home anymore. She didn't have a physical home, either. She hesitated, only for a moment; did jumping back in necessarily mean she would be taken back? What if the well had lost its powers, if that was what this was? What if it took her to a different timeline where there was no Duke? What did all of this mean? 

Nalini found that she didn't want to know, nor did she care. She just wanted to leave this place behind. This country that she could no longer be in. 

She  pushed herself off the edge and into the freezing cold water, her muscles stiff. She didn't know if it would work again and she would go back, but she prayed it did. It was the first time she was praying to go back to where the Duke was. It was funny how life worked.

Pushing herself up from the water with a gasp, she managed to climb the short well and pull herself over.

It took a lot of upper body strength and it broke her nails in the most disgusting manner, blood all over her fingers. But she didn't care.

Mostly, she didn't feel the pain. She walked mindlessly under the rain, her feet taking her to someplace she didn't know. Since she only ever went places in the Duke's carriage, she didn't know where to go besides the well.

And there was no way she was going back to the well ever again. As her hair matted to her face and the rain ran down her face and into her mouth, her pace slackened. She wanted to drop onto the floor in front of everyone and bawl her eyes out.

Busy, almost frantic people, pushed past her to get away from the rain. The loud braying of horses trying to get away from the cold attack of droplets was an abrupt push back to her reality now. It seemed like the only option then was to sob.

An option to get rid of the pain that threatened to tear her heart apart.

"Miss Nalini?"

A familiar deep voice rang out in the silent night.

Nalini lifted her head up to see Edward holding onto the other side of the door, dressed as if he was going out.

She wanted to ask where he was going and if she was delaying him, but she couldn't find the strength within her to speak.

His concerned green eyes lit up in the dark atmosphere, peering into her own.

"Dear God, you are completely drenched!" he exclaimed, worry lines appearing between his eyebrows as he took in the state she was in.

Hearing the accent and different manner of speaking both relieved her and caused her stomach to stiffen. She didn't know what to do with herself.

Seemingly because she didn't say a word, Edward gently pushed her inside. Somehow she had walked to Edward's house, though in her mind she really didn't recall ever knowing the address. He clicked his fingers and immediately a maid rushed over and hurried her to the bathroom to get her a change of clothes and to dry her hair.

She wanted to dispute but she couldn't. She didn't care enough to. As she was brought down, Edward urged her to sit down on one of the seats.

"You came just in time, Miss Nalini! The Duke had come to search for your whereabouts and as you could see, I was getting ready to search for you." She said nothing.