Chapter 32.

Alastair's eyes gravitated around the large ballroom, trying to find the short, Indian woman amongst them but to no avail.

He grumbled in irritation under his breath, ignoring the pointless chatter of Chastity who was also present, much to his utter dismay. He was irritated at Nalini for avoiding him lately, but he found it hard to hold any sort of negative feelings towards her as of late.

It was frustrating, to say the least. She would step away from him if they were too close and make excuses to avoid him. He couldn't make sense of her sudden actions, but he knew that he could not make sense of his own, either.

Alastair found himself wanting to be with her all the time and listen to all the nonsense that came out of her mouth. He found himself wanting to see her. As a matter of fact, just watching her talking to Richard, or doing other chores was enough for his chest to strangely tighten.

A part of him knew what that sign meant — he had felt the same once for Elinor.

And it angered him to no end that that woman could not stand being in the same room as him as if he was repulsive.

He scoffed bitterly, just at the thought of her stepping away from his touch earlier that night. He had not known that she hated him to that extent - they were supposed to be more than just employer and employee and he had made that very clear to her.

Alastair's eyes were still in search of her, however, and the more time passed without seeing her, the more frustrated he was becoming.

Just when he was about to storm off further into the room, in search of her, the woman that was constantly on his mind walked towards where Chastity and he stood.

Her face was sullen as she walked slowly to them, her eyes downcast. Alastair furrowed his eyebrows, his eyes fixed solely on her face and swollen eyes.

"Nalini," he called, but there was no response. It looked as if she was not entirely present with them and he could not deny that he was worried about her.

"Nalini," he repeated, his voice more gentle as she stood before him.

A hand on his arm, protesting, caught his attention and he instantly glared down at Chastity. Her blue eyes widened before they looked away almost immediately.

Good.

Alastair turned to face Nalini who still refused to look up at him which irritated him to no end. He wanted her dark eyes to be on him. He wanted her to tell him what had upset her to such an extent that she could not even speak.

It troubled him, seeing her like that.

"Nalini, what is the matter?" he repeated, trying to soften the tone in which he spoke to her.

When she said nothing and kept quiet, his jaw clenched. He wanted to help in any way he could but the woman was being stubborn and would not even tell him.

Chastity tugged on his arm once more. "She does not want to share, Alastair. So, perhaps, we should mind our business and da--"

"If it involves this woman, then it is my business and my business alone," he said without taking his attention away from Nalini. Chastity had gasped, raising a hand to her lips. 

Alastair wanted to roll his eyes but he was too focused on Nalini. His eyebrows furrowed even further as a tear streaked down her face as she blinked. His hands shook; in anger and frustration but most of all, helplessness.

He was the Duke, but at that moment, he felt weak. The helplessness came from not being able to provide comfort to he woman he had come to deeply care for. Alastair let out a slow, controlled breath through his nose as a deep desire to cup her cheeks and wipe the tears away hit him hard.