Chapter 12.

"Miss Chandhy," the deep voice of the Duke echoed throughout the entire hall of the manor. "Come in."

She clenched her fists, her hands clammy and cold as she pushed the door open all the way and stepped inside. Her stomach had dropped, filled with dread and she gulped to try and moisten her dry throat.

"Yes, Your Grace?" she asked, softly.

The Duke studied her with narrowed eyes for a moment before leaning against his chair. He crossed his leg, one ankle placed on top of the other legs' knee.

"I am grateful for your involvement during that fiasco."

Nalini froze, shocked to hear those words but said nothing. Instead, she nodded her stiff head, speechless.

He stared at her, eyes unwavering.

"Furthermore, I must say that I do not regret employing you as I initially did." He crossed his arms.

"So I thank you," he continued, surprisingly genuine. "My son is my world. You did well, Miss Chandhy."

At the mention of Richard, Nalini noticed a flash of an emotion that looked like...sorrow, but as soon as it appeared, it vanished.

She wanted to ask if he was okay, but she didn't want to get into any trouble.

The Duke was thanking her for the first time and she had to take it and leave as soon as she could.

A small smile curved up onto Nalini's lips and she bowed her head a little.

"You're most welcome, Your Grace! Richard is an amazing boy and I don't think he or any child should go through that."

The Duke just inclined his head in reply and she took that as her dismissal. Quickly getting up, she turned and opened the slightly heavy wooden door.

It was when she made her way back to Richard sitting on the floor with paper, looking at her expectantly that she realised that the Duke had pronounced her last name perfectly.

He had been saying it quite differently from the very first time but it seemed like he had gotten the hang of it - despite the accent, the pronunciation was perfect.

She couldn't help but giggle as she absentmindedly taught Richard how to write basic words.

When he looked up at her with those innocent eyes of his, Nalini jerked a little at how spaced out she had been, but then smiled at him softly.

"Thank you for helping me, Miss," he said, fumbling with his words as the tips of his ears turned red.

Her smile wavered, changing into a tender one. She reached out and smoothed down his hair, his golden locks running through her fingers as glossy as silk. 

"Of course, Richard. I'll always be here to help you. You know that right?"

He nodded, his blue eyes crinkling at the sides as he looked up at her with a radiating smile.

Nalini laughed, seeing his expression and ruffled his hair.

"Now, now, let's not get distracted!" she said, pointing to the paper in front of him.

He pouted, his shoulders slumping dramatically.

"But writing is sooo boring!"

She giggled. "Well, writing's very important, Richard!"

He humphed and crossed his arms and she bit her lip to stop herself from smiling.

She knew that 'blackmailing' him was a wrong thing to do, but she couldn't help it when it came to the adorable child in front of her.