Chapter 37.

Nalini stopped eating and talking. She wasn't happy anymore. At least, that's what she convinced herself. After Edward left that note, it was as if all the energy had been sucked out of her.

Besides Nora, he was the only other person that understood her but now he was gone. Even teaching Richard was a hard feat and took a lot of effort when before, it came to her naturally.

"Miss? Are you okay?" he asked softly as Nalini rubbed her tired eyes.

"Huh? Oh, yes, I'm fine, Richard. Um, so let me explain this--"

"You already have," he said, looking up at her with a dubious expression. She sighed and closed her eyes tightly. "Miss if you're tired, then I can tell daddy that--"

"No!" she exclaimed suddenly. "No, don't tell your dad. I'm completely fine. I just haven't been getting a lot of sleep, is all."

"But you've been really tired and different for a few days now, Miss!"

"I know, Richard."

"And I miss the old you," he mumbled to himself. "Is there any way I can help ya?"

Nalini smiled fondly at the child and ruffled his hair. He inched closer and then wrapped his arms around her neck.

"I love you, Miss. You're amazing! I will always be here for ya if you need me," he said confidently, a broad smile on his face. It was when he smiled that the resemblance to the Duke and his sister was so evident.

She knew right then and there that he would grow up to be quite a looker, just like his father. And quite the heartbreaker, too.

"I love you, too, Richard." She made a bold move then, leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on his head. "But you don't need to worry about me. I'll be back to my old self in a little while. I just need some time."

"Okay! I can be very patient, Miss, trust me."

Even though she laughed in response, her heart wasn't in it. She couldn't shake off the heavy feeling that Edward's absence left behind, plus everything else that had happened.

Later that day, she was absentmindedly walking around the house, not knowing what to do where before she would join in and help the others, now she was stood idly by.

Confused, agitated, lost -- she felt everything all at once and it was becoming too overwhelming for her. Nalini could see that Nora wanted to talk to her and see what was up with her, but she avoided her at all costs.

Even though it was the rude thing to do, she didn't want to have to explain anything to anyone. She just wanted to be by herself.

***

"Your Grace?"

Alastair looked up from the letter he was reading and at the person standing at the entrance. Nora timidly walked in as he beckoned her forward.

"Yes? What is it?"

"I am...I do not know if this is appropriate, but I am quite worried about Nalini. You see, she has been acting strangely. She is not eating or talking as much, either."

"I know," he sighed and ran a hand down his face. "I have noticed this change of behaviour, too."

He could see that Nora's tense muscles appeared to relax as she nodded in agreement.

"Is there something we should do, Your Grace? Considering you and Nalini have become quite close, I thought it would be most appropriate to approach you on the matter first."

"I am glad you have thought to come to me; that was very mature of you. I shall see what I can do and inform you of any matters regarding Nalini. I know how much you care about her so I will make sure to see to it."