Chapter 36.

Alastair understood why Nalini was unsettled by the news but, nevertheless, had behaved out of order in public. It was a secret he did not think of as greatly significant, as he loved Richard as his own.

The fact that he was not truly his was just a tiny part of Richard's backstory that did not define him and nor did Alastair want it to. He knew, however, that it was not a secret he should have kept from Nalini as everyone knew it.

And she most certainly was not just 'everyone' to him. She was much more than that.

She was his love.

Alastair stopped rubbing his forehead as his tense shoulders relaxed at the very realisation. He had not acknowledged it to himself, but he knew that despite societal pressures and expectations, he could not hide that he was very much in love with the Indian woman he found both infuriating and beautiful.

It was becoming increasingly difficult to pretend to not be affected by Nalini. Every time she was around, he could not help but let his mind and eyes wander to her and no one else.

With a sigh, he uncrossed his legs and leaned forward, staring at the most annoying people he had ever known.

Chastity looked in the direction Nalini had gone with a self-satisfied smirk on her face. It soon left when her gaze met his, but Alastair could very well see through her facade and he didn't like it at all.

In fact, he had had enough of her petty antics and wanted to make one thing clear with her and her entirely similar immature parents.

"Leave now."

Those words from his mouth caused the chattering to stop. All eyes were on him as he stood up.

"Perhaps I should escort you to your carriage if you did not understand me," he said, a vacant expression on his face. He itched to throw them out but refrained. Instead, he watched as Chastity's mother scoffed incredulously.

"Can you believe this?" she whispered to her husband, mouth twisted into a sneer. "He dares kick us out!"

"Dear, maybe--"

"No! I have had quite enough of this. It is clear that this man is not interested in you, honey." She grabbed Chastity's arm and tried to usher her out with them. Chastity stopped her parents, turning to him instead, eyes pleading.

"Please, if I have said something wrong--"

"Everything that has come out of your mouth has been wrong, Chastity. That woman you have so carelessly abused is not a slave and never will be. She is a woman that is most special to me and my son," he said, causing both the women to gasp. Alastair did not care that his words were unorthodox. He wanted the truth to be told.

"The people under my employment are not slaves and I do not treat them as such." Alastair stepped closer to them, a threatening aura oozing from him. His large frame looming over them was enough for Chastity to step back in fear.

"Alasta--"

"If," he boomed, his eyes darkening, "I am to see and hear of you and any more of your nonsense against Nalini, my son or anyone under my employment then I will be sure to find you and teach you a well deserved lesson. Now I bid you farewell," he said. He gestured two of his guards to take them away before walking in the direction of his manor.

Now that Chastity and her nuisance parents were dealt with, he could go inside and explain anything Nalini wanted him to. As he walked inside, he found her cleaning up the playroom in which Richard and she would spend time in. He stood at the entrance way, clearing his throat in an obvious manner.