Chapter 21.

Nalini wore a simple, peach-orange gown that wasn't too fancy. The sleeves were puffy, giving her an almost child-like appearance. The chest was decorated by darker criss-cross lines of pink, patterned all the way to the low pointed waist before the design stopped and the fabric flared out thanks to the bell-skirt. It was a gift from Nora, this time, who had kept such an outfit for special occasions but one that had never happened.

Nalini felt bad but also grateful that she knew such a wonderful, beautiful person. The Duke hadn't told her exactly what kind of ball she was attending, whether it was fancy like the ones they always attended or if it was more casual. Actually, she had no idea how the balls worked or even if there was such a thing as 'different' balls. But, she knew that it would be different considering they were going during the day and not at night, as they had done before.

Either way, she was glad to be getting out so that she could relax. She still felt a little ill and slightly weak but the thought of seeing so many luxurious people and dances made it somewhat bearable.

Nalini didn't know what time it was but she didn't want to keep the Duke waiting, as she seemed to always do. Leaving her hair out, naturally, she opened the door and raced down the spiralling staircase, slowing down to shake her sudden heavy head.

"I see you are on time."

The deep, baritone voice seemed to echo throughout her frame and she opened her tightly clenched eyes to see the Duke standing at the bottom of the stairs. He was wearing his royal uniform, as he always did and probably had to, his blond hair styled suitably. He looked...completely different. Like a gentleman.

She bit the inside of her cheek. If she had said that out loud, he would most likely scold her and then chuck her out of the manor. Nalini would have nowhere else to go, not to mention, the humiliation she would have to face from others.

It was only when she stood in front of him and he cleared his throat that she had realised that he was speaking to her.

"Er, yes, I didn't really have to do much."

The Duke inclined his head, stiffly. "Of course." He guided her out gently to the carriage. As they settled in silently, Nalini blew out a soft breath, bracing herself for yet another awkward journey with the rudest man of the century. "Miss Chandhy."

Nalini was startled from her staring contest with the skirt of her dress. She cleared her throat, eyes wide as she looked at the man opposite her. He was engulfed by the shadows of the dim-lit carriage and could only see half his face.

"Y-Yes?"

"Since we are to attend a social ball this afternoon, remember to refrain from calling me by my title."

"Um, so you would like me to address you as...Mr Bradford?" She still felt uncomfortable as it slipped through her mouth. It didn't sound right. Nalini could see that he had stiffened very briefly, as he had done the first time she was told to say it.

"Perhaps not." He crossed his leg over the other. "I have had time to ponder over it and have concluded that you may call me by my given name."

If her eyes could drop out of their sockets, it would have. "I couldn't! That...that would be--"

"I am aware. But, at these balls, you are not my inferior or my employee. You are my guest." He then eyed her with a raised eyebrow. "And need I remind you of Edward and yourself? As you have befriended him, you can accept my token of friendship, also. Particularly after the matters from before which I am apologetic for, I would rather we have a fresh start."