Chapter 33.

She had stayed outside, crying for longer than she had thought.

As the night winded to a close, Nalini tried to wipe away her tears and practised her smiles to make sure it looked like she hadn't been crying. Walking back inside, her eyes widened slightly as there were only a few people left.

Chastity had long gone but the Duke still sat in one of those luxurious silk seats reserved for him, his fingers tapping his crossed leg, as if impatient. Taking a deep breath in to compose herself, she slowly walked over to him.

Probably hearing her footsteps approaching him, he turned his head towards her and his eyes flashed as they met with hers. 

"And would you care to share with me about your whereabouts?" he asked, his eyebrows pulled down into a glare. "Lady Ainsworth appeared without you and left quite soon after. I have been waiting for you since then and you do not care to show up until the very end."

Nalini said nothing. She didn't want to be scolded again. She had had enough of everything and just wanted to go home.

"I'm tired. Can we please go home?" she asked, her voice scratchy from all the crying. She cleared her throat gently and discreetly as she was met with silence. Her fingers bunched up the front of her dress anxiously.

"Alright."

In silence, they both walked toward the carriage. Nalini refused to glance up at the domineering figure beside her, in fear of him already glaring down at her. She wanted to avoid any unnecessary attention and go to sleep.

She was tired of all the crying she had done, and she couldn't help but feel as if the world was against her.

As they rode back in silence, she could feel the eyes of the Duke on her. It made her uneasy, to say the least. Nalini just wanted to sulk and feel sorry for herself in peace without having to worry about someone else watching her.

But the Duke wouldn't even let her do that one simple thing.

"Please stop staring at me, Your Grace," she burst out in one angry breath. She held back the gasp that wanted to escape at the slip of her tongue. For a while, the Duke did and said nothing. Just when Nalini thought she was off the hook, the Duke leaned forward menacingly. His expression was hard and devoid of any emotion.

"Would you care to repeat that?"

She clenched her jaw and refused to say anything. She knew that doing so was dangerous, and she didn't want to talk or explain anything to anyone.

"I asked you a question, Nalini and I require you to answer it," he stated, his voice scarily calm. She knew him well enough to know that that was nothing but a facade. 

"It was nothing."

"It certainly did not seem like nothing."

When she remained silent, instead of getting mad at her like he usually did, he let out a small sigh.

"You have been mad at me from the very beginning--"

"I haven't--"

"--and you have resorted to calling me 'Your Grace' again," he raised his voice in warning. "I must be nothing but mad at you but somehow, I cannot find it within myself to be so."

Nalini was internally shocked at how gentle he was being. Compared to his angry, loud self, this part of the Duke was truly bewildering.

"I know there is something that is bothering you. Whether you confide in me or not, that is your choice, but you must know that I am no stranger to you."