Chapter 6.

Nalini jerked around, a hand over her chest as her heart threatened to jump out of it. The knot in her stomach relaxed and so did her muscles as her eyes met Nora's wide ones.

"Oh, I am truly very sorry for startling you! That was not my intention at all," said Nora.

Nalini shook her head, letting out a deep breath. "No, no, it's okay. I just thought you were the Duke so I felt a bit...jumpy." She left out the bit where she had a tiiiny fear of him.

Nora giggled. "It is quite alright to feel frightened! He is the most scariest man alive, so I do not blame you," she said as if reading her thoughts.

Nalini's eyes widened as she went to deny it when her shoulders sagged in defeat. It was true after all, there was no point in opposing it.

"But honestly, I really don't think anyone can be worse than..." 'my grandpa' was what she was about to say, but she quickly stopped herself.

That would raise questions from Nora and she didn't think they were questions she wanted to answer. "...Agnes," she said, jokingly.

Nora snickered behind a hand. "I concur with that statement," she said, smiling brightly. "But Agnes mustn't hear or she will go sobbing to the Duke."

They both giggled at her comment, but Nalini soon frowned when a thought hit her. "Nora," she began softly, before dragging her away from the door so no one heard, "is it just me, or does the Duke...favour Agnes a little bit?"

She was a little bit cautious about anyone over-hearing, especially since if someone were to come up the stairs, they'd definitely see them standing in the upstairs hallway.

The last thing she wanted, was to get Nora and herself in trouble.

Nora lifted an eyebrow. I do not think he favours anyone!" she repudiated. "He is the most heartless and disagreeable man in the universe but," she bit her lip in thought, "I must say, when a woman cries, then he turns as soft as a cotton ball. I do not think it matters who cries."

Nora frowned then. "Agnes is the only woman who has taken advantage of that. The rest of us, should we even dare to take advantage of His Grace," she shuddered, "I cannot imagine what will become of us. Pulp, surely!"

Nalini nodded in thought. The Duke having a weakness for people who cried was strange to her, but everything else made sense. Agnes sounded like a manipulator–and a great one at that, too!

Looking back at Nora, the fear on Nora's face made her want to ease her new friend.

"Don't worry! He won't turn you into a pulp,"  Nalini whispered, looking around before her eyes settled back on hers, "not if we turn him into a pulp first!"

Nora laughed, softly. "You jest, surely! If you are not, then I must say I will very well go ahead with that plan."

Nalini sighed in defeat. She didn't know what 'jest' meant, but she didn't ask what it was because she was too busy thinking about the plan.

She truly wished that they could go ahead with it, but it was impossible. "I wish we could turn the Duke into a pulp...but unfortunately, I don't think we can."

"I figured as such," said Nora, softly. "What a shame, it would have been much fun!"

Nalini couldn't help but laugh in agreement. "It would've been. But, let's do the next best thing and try not to get beaten."

They both giggled, but their laughter was cut short when the cherry-wood door a fair bit away from them, opened. Agnes emerged, a depressed, tear-faced Richard behind her.