Chapter 26.

Just like the last time, she wore a dress that was laid out for her by the Duke. This time it was a simple, maroon gown that seemed to suit her brown skin-tone perfectly.

She shared the news of going to yet another ball with the Duke and though Nora shot a suggestive wink at her, which Nalini dismissed, of course, she eagerly offered to do her hair. Nora pinned some of her hair back and allowed the front out to frame her face.

"You look beautiful!" she breathed out, enthusiastically. "The Duke is going to be smitten with you by the end of the night."

Nalini was horrified to find that she wasn't horrified by that idea. At this realisation, she spluttered out a weak reply.

"I-I don't even know why I agreed," she rushed out, panicked, "I wasn't thinking straight, you see."

"Oh, don't be such a ninny," Nora clicked her tongue, shaking her head. "He's a good man and very handsome. There is no harm in admiring him at all, trust me."

Nalini's stomach dropped but she plastered a smile on her face as a blush crept up to Nora's cheeks. She let out a little giggle, nudging her as she got up from her seat.

"Maybe you should be the one going to this ball then?"

"Oh shush!"

They giggled some more before a knock on the door signalled that it was time for her to go down. Even though she had gone to an event like this many times before, for some reason, going out with the Duke with just them two and no one else in the watchful eyes of the ton made her feel self-conscious. She had done this many times, so why was she feeling so blue now?

Nora sensed her unwillingness and looked at her.

"Do not worry, just smile and be yourself!" She glanced away, rethinking her words. "Actually as you know, the ton is very judgemental so try not to be yourself - pretend you have no tongue and say nothing."

"Right."

"Now go!"

She stumbled out the door and down the stairs, fumbling with the wide flare of the dress.

She lifted it up, praying that she wouldn't fall flat on her face. The Duke was looking crisp as always, wearing a luxurious outfit that highlighted his big, built figure. Even though he always looked good when attending these balls, tonight...she felt strange when she observed him. Her throat went dry and her hands were shaking.

His deep blue eyes seemed to be watching her every move, serving to make her more uncomfortable than she already was. When Nalini came to stand beside him, she cleared her throat.

"I-Is it time to go?" she found herself stammering. The Duke inclined his head but eased into a small smile, his eyes glinting with amusement.

"We're to leave soon, but I could not help but wonder whether or not I should offer you a compliment. If I do not, who knows? Perhaps you will ignore me at the ball as you did the very first time."

Unintentionally a smile left her. "You're more than right, so go ahead, Your Grace. I'm waiting."

He regarded her with kind eyes. "You look beautiful." Her mouth dropped open a little and she stared at him for what seemed like years.

She couldn't believe that he had willingly complimented her of all people. Nothing made sense, anymore. She supposed she shouldn't feel so shocked considering his behaviour from before.
He had helped her, apologised, thanked and even complimented her, now.

It was when he raised an eyebrow and the impatience in his eyes began to appear that she shook herself away from the daze she was in.

She curtsied a little. "That, er, was very kind of you, Your Grace." She gestured at him. "You look quite nice yourself."