Chapter 22.

Every bone in Nalini's body froze as she turned slowly on her heels. A young, tall man smiled down at her gently, dark eyes shimmering with delight. It almost scared her at how happy he looked. His hand was already out in front of her as if he was confident that she would respond with a yes.

"You...want to dance with me?" she asked, wanting to be sure that he wasn't actually asking the woman standing behind her.

The man chuckled as if she had made the funniest joke of the century. "Of course. I have been watching you from the moment you stepped foot in here and to me, you are very beautiful."

I am?

Even though she knew he was only saying what he did to flatter her, she couldn't help but smile at his efforts. It was to be admired, especially if he was saying all those things to her, someone who never even got compliments from her own flesh and blood.

And though she wanted to refuse and stay comfortable, Nalini looked around. Some older women were dancing, too, and today had made her feel unstoppable. Everyone's eyes would be on her, but entertaining herself was better than standing around doing nothing.

"Well, you have won me over. I would love to dance with you," she said, gently placing her small hand in his. He closed his fingers over hers then, his boyish grin widening. "But, mind you, I'm not a very good dancer."

"Not many are," he said, taking her arm and bringing her to the dance floor, "we aren't all born natural dancers, you see."

"That hadn't crossed my mind at all," she replied, jokingly. This caused the man to crack a half-smile, eyes crinkling at the sides. She could feel a strong gaze on her back but she didn't bother turning.

She had a good idea of who it was.

The music was just beginning so she took that time to hold his hand and curtsy before commencing. From dancing before with Edward, she had learnt a few things. Though talking and dancing proved to be difficult, they managed. Or she had to, considering he was speaking to her first.

"May I ask the beauty's name?"

He was much too flattering but she decided to humour him. "Nalini."

His eyes widened before they settled. After a small pause, he said, "Very exotic. "My name is nowhere near as interesting as yours, trust me." That comment caused laughter to spew from her lips, though she didn't necessarily know why. Maybe it was because he was the only one, besides the Duke and Edward, that actually bothered to speak to her despite the colour of her skin.

"I think I'll be the judge of that."

He grinned, eyes flashing. "The name's Colin."

Nalini fake grimaced, shaking her head and clicking her tongue once. "You were right. It doesn't live up to my name, whatsoever."

After a burst of small, breathy laughter the two shared, Colin stared down at her, head tilted. "I will be sincere and say that I hadn't anticipated this."

Her eyebrows furrowed. "Hmm?"

"I was not expecting you to be a woman of such...wit."

The feeling of being taller, bigger, and stronger filled her then. She had never been called witty before. "What were you expecting?"