meeting my dad

I open my eyes from the long flight to look out the window from the passenger seat next to me. i can see I am back to where I came from. As I was walking out of the airport with my luggage on both sides of me about to call a taxi when I see a man holding up a sign with my name on it. And I knew I was seeing my father for the first time.

                   *FLASHBACK*

  Today I was coming back from school

I had entered the kitchen when i hear my aunt calling me from the living room.

“Riley, I need to talk to you.”

“Umm sure. What about?” i ask.

“Okay, this may be hard news for you to understand but just listen.”

I just nod

“you’re…” she paused looking like she was thinking on what to say.

 “As you know your dad wasn’t here for you throughout your life and you never had real contact with him. Well, He had recently contacted me earlier this week to ask if you would like to live with him and his family…”

I couldn’t speak. Why all of a sudden would he suddenly want to be in my life?

“And I had told him that you would. So you are going back to Britain to live with him.”

I couldn’t respond quickly enough as this was processing in my head. I was in total shock. As it settled in long enough I was suddenly angry.

“I am not going back to live with him and his family! He doesn’t know me, he never held responsibility for me, and he was never in my life! So why now does he suddenly want me in his life?!”

She just sat there staring intently at me.

I said “does he feel that he now has to take full responsibility of me?”

“When you get to meet your father I think he should be the one to explain everything to you.”

“I can’t believe you are doing this to me! Don’t you want me?”

“Honey of course I do! You are a daughter that I never had.”

“Couldn’t you have just turned him down?”

“He is your father and as your father he has a right to do so.”

“ PLEASE DON’T LET ME GO!”

“I promise we will text & call every day whenever we can.”

“Is there any way around this?” I asked hoping that there was.

“No… there isn’t.”

                                                    * END OF FLASHBACK*

I was originally from Britain and moving to America with my aunt Clare last year was a big change for me. I had to leave all of my friends and family for a chance to start a new life. My mom and I have had rough times but somehow we would always make it through… until my mom passed away last year.  after coming back from summer camp last year , I had stayed with my aunt Clare in the meantime; she was like a second mother to me. she has no kids of her own and I was like a daughter she never had and I was grateful that she was there for me. Before my mom had passed i had told my mom how i had fallen in love with a boy and i had given everything to him and before summer camp had ended he had left me without even a reason or goodbye. i had cried for weeks on end . and one day my mom had came up to me said that I had to be strong for her  and to not let anyone bring me down because if something ever happens to her i will need to take care of myself . But now im not strong and I have no mother. I didn’t have a dad because he had left my mom and me when I was born. I never knew the reason why.

And today I stand in front of the man I am supposed to call my father who had left me and my mother with nothing but child support.

We were just standing here looking at each other. As I see my father walk up to me and all I could do was stay frozen here in my place. As I see him closer now I could see the brown hair with faint white around his hair line, he has manly features with hair stubbles on his face. As he stood in front of me I finally hear my father’s voice for the first time.

“Are you riley Johnson?”

“y-yes I am.”

“I am your father Tom Horan. My car is across the way… I will explain everything once you get settled in at my place.”

As we were driving we made no eye contact or try to make conversation with each other. He makes a left turn into a nice community of houses. At last we finally stop in front of a two story house with a white fence in front.  And saw a parked car already there. As he parked his car in his driveway next to the parked car my nerves started to come and I can feel myself hyperventilating. My breathing started to become even more heavier and faster.

“riley…” he said  “we are here.”