Chapter 14: Prove it

*Friday*

Braden has been avoiding me since Tuesday. I wonder why. Every time I see him I try and make conversation but he'll say "I gotta go" or "I'll text you later." And he never does. So I just don't even try to talk to him anymore.

The final bell just rang I'm walking to the main doors, oddly, no one else is leaving through the main doors. I'm so ready for the weekend. But then I hear footsteps behind me. But they are getting closer and closer. I can feel two people right behind me. I don't look back. I just try and get to the door as quick as I can.

Two arms sling across my shoulders from either side of me. I look to both sides of me and see...

Them.

The boys who tripped me during the fire drill.

"Hey Claire. What's up?" on of them says. I believe his name is Max.

"Nothing." I say.

"Oh really. You and your boyfriend aren't doing anything?" the other one says. I think his name is John.

"Can y'all go away please?" I ask.

"Y'all? Where are you from?" Max says.

"I'm not telling you." I snap back.

"Ooh feisty. I like you Claire." John says.

"Oh really? Is that why you tripped me?" I say

"Can't we just forget about that?" Max says.

"Um. No." I say.

"John. Now!" Max yells.

John grabs my hands and pins them behind my back. Max puts his hand over my mouth. I don't know why they're doing this. I haven't done anything to them! Or have I? Braden and them used to be really close. And then I came along and took Braden away from them. I never knew guys could be so dramatic about losing a friend.

I try to scream and hope someone can hear me. I am brought into a dark room. They turn on the light, but they still keep their hands on my mouth and my arms. I squeal and try and make as much noise as possible. I bite Max's hand, and he lets go for a brief second and I scream on the top of my lungs.

Max puts his hand back over my mouth and begins to talk.

"Ok now you listen. We don't want you hanging around Braden anymore. You got that? You're turning him into some kind of softie. No more dating Braden ok?"

Max looks at me with wide eyes. I nod no.

"What did you just say?" he asks me

"No!" I say muffled by the hand over my mouth.

"No?" he asks.

Then the door opens. It's...

Him.

"What's going on here?" he asks with fury in his eyes.

Max's hand is still on my mouth and John's hands are still holding me back. Braden sees his friends holding me back and you can literally see the smoke coming out of his ears.

Braden goes over to Max and kicks him where the sun don't shine. Max's hand comes off my mouth and he is on the ground. Holding himself. I'm still in John's grasp and he isn't letting go anytime soon. His grip tightens on my arms and it hurts. Really bad. I begin to cry. Braden tries to reason with John.

"John. Just let her go. She hasn't done anything to you."

"Hasn't done anything to me? Hasn't done anything to me? She took away my best friend." He says.