Chapter 20: What just happened?

*Saturday morning*

I open my eyes and look to my right and see that my clock reads 9:45. I look to my left and don't see Braden. I think I saw him last night right before I fell asleep. I could be wrong, I was in a lot of pain last night. I then look by my window and see Braden asleep against the wall, like I was when he was hurt. He looks so peaceful, I don't want to wake him. I probably couldn't even get up to wake him up. I lift my shirt up and look down. I have two huge blue and purple bruises. But around the edges they are red, and they are now swollen. They are so painful.

I grab my phone and text Margaret and tell her I'm sick and can't go to Al's. She understands. I have the best friends.

I put my phone down and look over at Braden. He is still asleep. I can't wake him up, he's too peaceful. His head is leaned back, lips parted, but he's still wearing the same clothes as yesterday. I close my eyes again because I'm still tired.

After what feels like forever, I feel a hand slip into mine, and a hand on my forehead. I take in a deep breath and it hurts, and I wince.

"Claire. Are you ok?" Braden asks with worry in his voice.

I open my eyes and see Braden on his knees next to my bed. I look into his eyes and there is fear in them.

I take a breath to speak and it hurts but I can't talk. So instead I just nod yes.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry, this is all my fault." he says dropping his head.

"It's not your fault." I say with a strained voice. I reach my hand down and put it under his chin and lift his chin up.

"Yes it is. I should have just solved my problems without getting you involved. I'm so, so, so sorry. I am going to stay with you, every second of every day until you're better."

I can't say anything because a sudden sharp pain shoots through my entire stomach and I tighten my eyes. Braden stands up and pulls up my shirt and when he sees my stomach his eyes widen and he looks like he is about to cry.

"I'm so sorry Claire." He says as he grabs the ice packs to place on my stomach.

"Don't be sorry."

I realize that I have to pee. So I try and stand up. I sit up on my own, but it sends a excruciating pain through my stomach. Braden sees me trying to stand up and he looks confused.

"Let me get what you need." he says placing a hand on my shoulder.

"You can't help me." I say straining my voice. And he can't.

"Yes I can. What do you need?" I ask.

"Braden, you can't help me right now." I say. His face changes.

"Yes I can. What do you need?"

"Braden, I have to go to the bathroom." his face goes blank.

"Yeah you're right I can't help you with that, but I can help you get to the bathroom." he says.

He puts his arm around my waist and pulls me up. I put my left arm around his shoulders and I take a few steps. On the fifth step a sharp pain is sent through stomach and I bend over clutching my gut.

"You can barely walk!" Braden says. My bathroom is about 10 feet from my bed. And I can't even make it by myself. Braden puts his arm under my knees and his other arm around my shoulders. He lifts me up off of the ground and carries me to my bathroom. When we reach the door he sets me down, and keeps his arm around my shoulder.

"I can take it from here. Thank you."

"Just let me know when you're done." he says.

In close the door. I pull my shirt up and see that basically my entire stomach is red with two blue, black, and purple spots. This can't be good. I put down my shirt and pee. I stand up without a problem, and I walk over to the sink without a problem. I wash my hands and open the door. Braden sees me standing there and comes running to me.