Chapter 37: This is blowing my mind

Claire's P.O.V. (After the trial)

I feel like a horrible person, I just told Braden to stay out of my life, and both of his parents were just arrested. I was the only person he had, and now that I'm no longer in the picture he's alone. But he has his slut, so he should be ok.

I go inside and change into shorts and 5k shirt from my school. I go back downstairs and my mom is sitting on the couch. Her legs crossed and her brown hair in a bun.

"Braden just came by and wanted me to tell you that he is really sorry. What is that about?" she asks.

"Uumm..." I say trailing off.

"You know you can tell me anything." She says.

"Braden and I, uh, broke up." I say looking down.

"Oh honey, I'm sorry. Why?" she says standing up and coming towards me. She wraps her arms around me and I feel a sensation of safety when she hugs me.

"He, uh, ch-cheated on me." I say.

"He did? Sweetie, I'm so sorry, are you ok?" She says hugging me again.

"I actually have another boyfriend, so I'm ok." I say.

"Really? So fast? Who is this boyfriend?" she asks.

"Max." I say. She doesn't know who Max is but I'll just leave out the part about wanting to basically kill Braden and I.

"Who is this Max?" she asks.

"Braden's used to be best friend." I say.

"Used to be?" she asks.

"They had a huge fight and haven't talked since." I say.

"Does Braden know?" she asks.

"Why does it matter if he knows? He's not my boyfriend anymore!" I say.

"Well if Max and him used to be best friends he deserves to know." She says. And I don't see her point.

"There's two possibilities of what would happen. If I told Braden he would try and hurt Max and then this huge fight would break out and I would be stuck in the middle. And if I didn't tell Braden he would find out and a huge fight would break out and I would be stuck in the middle. So either way I'm stuck in the middle. Can I just be alone for a little bit?" I ask.

"Sure, sweetie." she says. I go upstairs and lay on my bed. Why can't I just be a normal teenage girl who worries about the mall and when she gets to go to Starbucks again? But instead I'm here worrying about 2 guys and how I don't want them to beat each other to a pulp. I get lost in thought and when I hear a knock on my bedroom door I am slightly shocked. I stand up and open my door and I see Max.

"Hey gorgeous." He says leaning against my door frame.

"Hey Max." I say.

"Hey Max? That's all I get?" he asks.

"Hey handsome?" I say more like a question.

"Better. Wanna go to lunch?" he asks.

"I would love to." I say.

"Great! Lets go!" He says

"Wait, where are we going? Do I need to change?" I ask looking down at my clothes.

"Jordan's." He says.

"I'm not gonna change." I say.

"I think you look good in whatever you wear." he says. I blush a little before I take his hand and walk out of my room.