Chapter 28: For Real This Time

Claire's P.O.V.

Braden is still asleep, his chest rising and falling. I need to go home and see my mom. She's been on my back since Max. I let go of Braden's hand and go to his window, but before I leave I look back at Braden. He looks peaceful, even though he's not.

I climb in through my window and grab a new shirt. It's a crappy shirt, just in case it gets bloody. I go to my mom.

"Hey mom!" I say.

"Hey, how are you doing?" she asks.

"I'm fine." I say.

"Are you sure?" she asks.

"Yes, I'm sure." I say.

"Ok." she says.

"I'm going to Braden's, ok?" I say.

"Ok! Have fun!" she says.

I go back to my room and climb out the window and into Braden's. He's awake. When he sees me his face doesn't change. I run over to him and hold his hand.

"How are you doing?" I ask squeezing his hand.

"I've been better, I'm not gonna lie." he says smiling.

"Seriously?" I ask.

"I'm tired." He says.

"You lost a lot of blood." I say looking down to his stomach, the bandages are red.

"I put these on 20 minutes ago! You are bleeding a lot." I say.

Braden manages a moan. I take the bandages off and pick up my hoodie. Well my hands are red again. I just take my shirt off. When I take my shirt off Braden's eyes widen.

"What? Like the view?" I ask smiling. I put my shirt down on his stomach.

"Braden, I'm going to have to apply pressure." I say.

"Ok." he says.

I push down just a little, he doesn't react, that should be enough pressure. After a few minutes I take my shirt off of his stomach and flip it over to put on his chest. I put bandages on his stomach, and then put pressure on his chest. A few minutes later, I put bandages on his chest. He doesn't react once.

"Are you sure you're ok?" I ask.

"I'm ok." He says.

"Don't lie to me." I say as I go to grab his hand, but mine are bloody, so I hesitate.

"I'm ok." He says weakly.

"You're lying." I say.

His eyes close and his face relaxes. He does need some rest. I let him sleep. I go wash my hands, when I get back into Braden's room and he's still asleep. I'm pretty tired from the adrenaline rush. I go and lean up against the wall, I don't want to wake him up by sitting next to him. I lay down on my right side and put my arms under my head.

~~~~~~~~morning~~~~~~

I wake up on my back, in only my tank top and jeans. I sit up and look at Braden and see he is staring at me. I jump up and go to his side.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"I'm a lot better." He says.

"Thank god." I say dropping my head.

"Why are you here?" he asks.

"What?" I ask.

"Why are you here?" he asks.

"You were just beaten. Why wouldn't I be here?" I don't know why he's asking me these stupid questions.

"Exactly. You are here for me, and when you needed me I just left you." He says.