72: dean

authors note: sorry y'all I didn't forget you! just been a little busy around my normal posing time these last few days. I'll get back into my normal posting schedule when the holidays are over :)

anyways... resume...

"Cas?" Dean opened the front door and threw his keys down on the counter.

"Yeah back here." He heard from his bedroom.

Dean hurried across the room, dropping the things in his hands along various parts of the room. His jacket landed on the couch, his backpack on the floor next to a table, and his phone on the desk next to his bedroom door. As he looked into his room, he saw Cas leaning over a small backpack folding shirts and placing them carefully inside.

"Hey." Dean smiled, leaning over on the doorframe.

"Hey." Castiel looked up at him with a quick half smile.

"How long are you staying?" Dean motioned to the backpack.

"Until Sunday afternoon. I want to make it to class Monday morning."

Dean nodded his head and pushed himself up off the wall. He walked over to the bed and sat down next to the various items Castiel had laying out on the bed. Cas was still pushing things into his black bag when he noticed what he was wearing.

"Is that my shirt?" Dean gently smiled looking at the black and white flannel.

"Maybe." Castiel whispered, grabbing his phone charger from off the bed.

"Take it with you."

"I was planning on it." Castiel smiled leaning his head over onto the bed. "Smells like you."

"You're so damn cute." Dean whispered, secretly hoping that Cas would stay a little longer, but he knew that now was not the time or place to be thinking about that.

"Just one of my many redeeming qualities." His boyfriend answered, starting to zip his bag closed as he stood up from the floor.

Dean stood up along with him, looking him eye to eye as he put the backpack on his shoulder. Castiel looked up at Dean, and Dean could see the tears nearly falling from his red eyes. For some odd reason, he noticed that whenever Cas was about to cry, his eyes looked a lighter shade of blue, it was such a beautiful thing to come of something so horrible.

"Don't you cry." Dean said wrapping his arms around Castiel's neck and pulling him in towards him.

"I'm trying Dean." Cas whispered, his hands wrapping around his back.

"I know you are." Dean smelt the faint scent of his cologne on the flannel as he felt the fabric underneath his own hands.

And then Castiel pulled back, looking up at Dean, and moving one of his hands around his neck. Dean leaned down a little as Cas kissed him, knowing that for the next few days he would be missing this. He felt Castiel's lips pull away, but not wanting to let go, Dean leaned in and met him again.

"Dean I have to go." Cas whispered, lingering inches away from his face.

"I know." Dean brushed a piece of hair behind his ear.

Castiel picked up his phone from off the bed and held it in his hand that had the backpack. He turned his back on Dean and started walking out of the room. Dean followed on his heels, matching his steps as he made his way towards the front door, their feet making similar sounds on the hardwood.

When he reached the door, he stopped. Dean was glad he did. It gave him time to think about what to say next. So many things, but only one last sentence as a goodbye.

But then Castiel turned around and placed one last kiss on his lips before opening the door.

"Be careful Cas. I love you." Dean whispered to him as he walked out into the cold.

Oh shit.

Within seconds, Dean realized what he had said.

So not the right time.

He watched as the expression on Castiel's face turned from sulking to a bit of amusement. He looked over his shoulder with a grin, before turning back to face the sidewalk.

"I love you too Dean." He whispered as he walked off with a smile.