|1.42|

Aven walked the campus with his head down. If it wasn't for the Florida's heat he would have found himself bundled into a hoodie trying to conceal as much of the outside world away from him as possible. It had been three days since the passing of Cassie and he hasn't been holding up to well. Everything he did reminded him of little memories of her and it was slowly tearing him down.

Entering his usual early morning class he settled himself in the back. Usually Cassie would be sitting right beside him doing her morning routine of running through the notes just in case Professor Bell thought it would be nice to pop a quiz onto them.

Taking a look to the right of him, there was no Cassie. It had been that way for about two months but before he still felt some kind of hope that she would return.

Although Cassie didn't occupy the desk next to him, a gathering of balloons and stuffed animals did. He didn't notice them the first look around, but now that he did, it made tears scorch his eyes.

She was really gone.

The small token of remembrance made Aven regret even coming to class. Her picture was on grand display on the desk, her smile reflecting right at Aven.

Wiping the tears away that were on the verge of falling, he reached over to the desk and placed the picture face down. He couldn't bare looking at her at the moment.

In a daze of sadness, he felt a hand get placed on his shoulder. Looking up he realized it was a classmate, Chris that he would often chop it up with. They weren't close, but Cassie and his girlfriend often dragged them out on double dates together. "You good? Me and Leian brought you some breakfast." He held out the container of food out to Aven.

Aven took the food out of common courtesy even though he knew his appetite was at an all time low. "Thanks, I appreciate it."

"You good fam. Just keep yo' head up, you know me and Lei got you with whatever. You and Cassandra was the only people we had out here and I'm thankful y'all took us in with open arms." He assured Aven.

Aven wiped his hand over his eyes again hoping he wouldn't turn so vulnerable in front of Chris. "She was always extra friendly." He chuckled while looking away. "Can't believe she really gone." He croaked in a whisper with a shake of his head.

Chris took the seat to the left of him. "I feel you man. I know this hitting hard, but you'll get through it. She'll find the way to guide you through it like she's done with everything else."

Aven nodded. He held out on responding to Chris knowing that if he did the conversation of Cassie would prolong. Class began and the entire aura had shifted to darkness. People seemed to pay more attention to Aven and the small memorial in the back rather than Professor Bell.

Quite frankly, everyone was just use to Cassie. She had impacted everyone differently.

In the middle of Professor Bell's lecture, he let out a long sigh. "Listen, I know everyone is out of it due to the loss of one of our classmates. I just want you to know Aven, we all are here to help you whatever the case may be." He assured Aven who stared at him with red tinted eyes from the crying he had done before he dragged himself out of bed.

With that, everyone stared back at Aven awaiting for him to respond.

The pressure was overwhelming and with one glance of the memorial to the right of him, he broke down.