Mr Kingston's Roommate|11

Edited/re-written

Leila's POV
Feelings are leaving

"Hi."

"Hey."

"How are you feeling, are you okay?" He asked as he fumbled with his cup of coffee. His eyes felt somewhat piercing as if they were gaping through my soul. I've never felt more uncomfortable in his presence. Why is that? Is it because we're drifting apart?

That must be it.

My worse nightmare is coming to pass right before my eyes.

"I'm fine. You know I would have been better if I got to see you more but, here we are." I couldn't help but take a jab at him out of bitterness. Maybe I'm just angry with myself for thinking this long distance could work. Three hours does not seem that far away, but when you're wrapped up in your own personal life it feels as if you're seas apart.

"Baby, you know I've been a lot busier lately. I told you about the interviews I've been going to. I'm turning 21 soon, you really think I want to be working at an arcade?"

"Then enroll here!"

"I'm not. You know school is not for me. I'm a hands-on worker, Leila. I'm not the type to spend four more years doing school work for a degree that won't guarantee me getting a placement in my field of interest. And don't tell me anything about taking chances."

I sat there in complete silence, taking in each word little by little, breaking them down...assessing them with a pair of eyes too tired to stay open as exhaustion rippled through my veins. I ran my fingers through my greasy hair as I forced myself to sit upright.

"Reese, are you hiding something from me?" I muttered. The question has been nagging me since I caught him at the club. He hasn't done anything distrustful, however, I can't shake the feeling off.

"Because the Reese I-I know and love wouldn't be so pitiful and constantly use excuses as to why he won't make an effort to see me. The Reese I know wouldn't use words to make anything up to me, but actions and right now all I hear are words, words and more words."

I could see the frustration coaxing each muscle on his face to twitch and contort into an expression that coincided with how he felt. Even if he bottles it up, he can't hide his emotions from me. "Stop being dramatic. You know that I love you but recently it's like I constantly have to prove that to you. Stop pressuring me to prove something to you that you already know!"

"I love you, Reese."

"Don't say that, you don't mean that. You're just drunk, Leila."

"I mean it! And I know that you know it too."

Before I got here, I saw him through the window sitting at this very table with his head down on his phone and that sweet smile he'd wear only for me. I saw the red tinge that ran down from his chin to the corner of his lips as he blushed the way he'd only blush for me.

Who?

Who does he love now?

"You don't love me anymore, do you? When I needed you most you weren't even here for me. You visited me once Reese, once after the shooting when I was shaken up and traumatized. You knew that you were the only person I had and you weren't even there!"