Mr Kingston's Roommate|52

Leila's POV
Finally Awake

Disappointment.

Guilt.

They both plagued my body as I laid on the hospital bed silently. A doctor to my side attending to me and a nurse jotting down information that I'm sure I didn't even want to know about.

Why was I feeling disappointed? Why was I feeling guilty? I was feeling disappointed because when I closed my eyes I didn't see Kyle again, instead I woke up to a nurse attending to me, a startling scream escaping his lips when he realized I was awake.

Why was I feeling guilty?

Because I wanted to die. Because I felt disappointed that I didn't die. Not even giving it a second thought to think that Blake would be devastated if I were actually to leave this earth. He only held on because there was still hope for me, but if I truly died what was there to hold onto?

"Leila, a–are you okay?" Nurse Adrian asked in concern. I turned towards him and frowned, "why?" He shifted on his feet uncomfortably and motioned towards my face, "you're crying."

Confusedly I lifted up my hand to my face and froze at its dampness. I chuckled embarrassingly, swiping my palm against my cheek and mustering up a smile, "I'm sorry, I'm just overwhelmed with all of this." I exclaimed and he nodded his head in understanding, sending me a curt nod.

Nurse Adrian excused himself as Doctor Bennett stepped into the room. It had been twenty minutes since I woke up. Blake was gone, when I woke up the first time it was night and now it was apparently morning which meant he went back to work. Or so I'm guessing.

In the world I lived in with Kyle for three months - if that was even real - between what I suspected was 9 to 4, Blake was never here. Then he'd spend the night beside me until the next day despite visiting hours not being that long. I guess he pulled some heartstrings.

"How are you feeling Leila? Any complications so far, breathing, speaking, sight, any headaches? Fatigue?" He rambled as he whipped out his clipboard. I shook my head vigorously and gave him a skeptical look, "Three months is a long time for my body to heal right? Should I be feeling any pain?"

"No, not necessarily."

I nodded my head stiffly and motioned towards my leg which was wrapped tightly in a cast, "so is this the only thing I broke?" I muttered jokingly. He pursed his lips in a thin line and hissed under his breath before placing the clipboard down, his throat clearing. "We're guessing you broke your leg from catching Blake from the car seat, is that a fact?"

I nodded my head again.

"Well, you also suffered from five broken ribs which resulted in internal bleeding. From what the police report said you slammed your stomach against the dashboard when the car flipped over. Not only that but I'm guessing you could see the scars on your body from second-degree burns when the car blew up."

I tilted my head downwards, frowning when I only realized now my body was wrapped in bandages. How could I have only realized that now? I went through all of that and yet still I was sitting here. How was that even possible? "There's one more thing. It's a miracle you're still able to talk so clearly and move so freely. But later we'll see if you're able to walk properly."

What is he rambling on about?

"You also suffered from a traumatic brain injury when you hit your head against the window. It caused swelling in the brain so we put you into a drug-induced coma to reduce the swelling, as you may know, you've been in a coma for three months. Usually, TBI's as severe as yours may disrupt basic human functions such as talking and walking.