Mr Kingston's Roommate|41

Leila's POV
She ran

 After a long day of scoping downtown for a job, I needed a rest. Next week was the beginning of summer and let's just say I wouldn't really refer to it as summer for me, seeing as I wanted to catch up with my studies as soon as possible. 

I slipped out of my car and slammed the door shut behind me,  a soft whistle resonating from my lips as I locked up my car and spun around, only for a scream to escape my lips when my eyes fixated on the person sauntering towards me frantically. 

What surprised me more was the outfit she was adorned in. A white blouse tightly fitted her upper body with a navy blue pencil skirt and black heels. Her brown hair was pulled into a neat bun and on her side dangled a black checkered Louis Vuitton bag.

She looked like a businesswoman, unlike the woman I met months ago who appeared as if she just finished a round of crack and needed more money to get some drugs from her sugar daddy or pimp. She was the woman I knew four years ago, the one who stumbled into the house every afternoon with a box of donuts in her hand and bottles of soda for her kids to munch on.

 The woman who woke me up every morning and dragged me out of my room to get ready for school. The woman who kissed me goodnight every single night and told me that she'd always be there for me, waiting every morning till I woke up.

The woman I called my mother. Right, that's what she looked like.

And that's who she was.

"Leila! Sweetie, how are you? I thought I'd have to come inside to get you but I saw your car outside and I saw you step out. At first glance, I thought it was someone else because of the hair but. . . It looks okay I guess." She exclaimed excitedly, a wide smile making its way onto her lips.

Sweetie? Did she just call me sweetie!?

Before I could comprehend what was happening, her long arms wrapped around my body in a tight hug and my eyes widened as I stiffened. I somehow managed to bring my hands up and place it between us, shoving her away from me lightly as my lips curved downwards into a scowl.

"What the hell do you want?" I spat. Her brows perked upwards as if she was shocked to have heard the tone in which I spoke to her. She folded her arms over her chest and chuckled humorlessly, "Leila Hart, how dare you speak to your mother this way?" 

"Excuse me? I can speak to you however I like, last I checked I didn't have a mother."

Even a deaf person could hear the despair in my voice, the crack in my words, the heartache that I feel whenever I saw her. The last time I did, I ended up on the floor with a bloody wrist and a worried Blake crouching beside me whiles I balled my eyes out. This wasn't gonna happen again, I promised him I wouldn't do it again. So why do I feel like doing it again?

"Listen, I just came here to take you out. Get to know what's been going on in your life. Catch up–"

"Catch up!? Catch up. . .are you–are you okay? There must be something you want from me right? Because the last time I saw you, you were practically begging me for money and you didn't even spend five minutes with your own daughter after hearing I didn't have and you came here to take me out!?"

"Leila! Use your inside voice young lady, and let's not talk about what happened before. The past is in the past." She huffed out angrily, her eyes boring into mine and a sharp intake of breath sent me careering back into my car, a sharp pain shot through my chest as tears pricked my eyes. 

Mr Kingston's Roommate | ꪜ जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें