Altaire's Sixth Birthday (4)

Just right at that moment, we heard the door opening, followed by a ruckus.

"...The king?!"

"He decided to attend?!"

"I thought he was going to be absent for this party, as well!!"

...eh?

The king himself, in flesh?!

Upon glancing at the source of the others' stares, I found a young man who looks to be at the same age as Dad. His short light brown hair hasn't changed, and his green eyes are looking more mature. He wears a luxurious golden-white suit, covered in a red robe. The royal family emblem is stitched in the middle of his chest, holding up his robe. There are also a few gallant-looking guards standing beside him.

Dad walked to approach the commotion while carrying me. Mom followed Dad from behind after she held Altaire's hand and soon, we finally got to face the king.

"Sorry for being late, there were some urgent issues coming up at the castle!" The king said.

"No problem, we are glad about your arrival alone, Your Majesty." Dad said, as he bowed down, followed by Mom.

"Please enjoy the party, Your Majesty," Mom said, as she tugged Alt-nii's hand that she was holding.

"T, thank you for coming Y-Your Majesty," Alt quickly realized Mom's signal and bowed down, as well. I slightly bowed my head down, as well.

"No problem, I've been planning to come here ever since Cyan there gave me an invitation. Anyway, do you mind if we speak alone?" asked the king, still with his casual tone.

...does this smell like a trouble?

We entered another room near the hall, leaving the other nobles to enjoy the party. I notice myself getting all tensed up especially the moment the door closes. I bet the atmosphere here will soon turn tense, as well... My family must also be nervous with this development. For the king to request a private audience, there must be some issues he'd like to talk with us. Perhaps, it's regarding the Hartmann's governance, or other things, as I remember that both my parents are already working at the Royal Castle, in spite of their role in East territory's management.

I braced myself to look at Dad's expression. I should be able to notice if he's tense, despite the fact that he might cover it up with his usual business smile... and yeah, there he is, smiling... but he doesn't look tense at all...?!

I quickly turned my gaze at Mom. Nope, she isn't tense as well!

I desperately turned around to see Altaire-nii, he's all smiling! No sign of nervousness!

W, what's wrong with my family?! Why am I the only one feeling tense?!

"What's up with that grand entrance, Your Ma-jes-ty~?" Dad said in a teasing tone. Dad seemed a little... irritated?

Huh?!!

GWAAH?! Wait Dad, what are you thinkin—

"How many times do I have to tell you to cut all the formalities off when nobody is around, Cyan?!" The king seems irritated, as he crossed his legs and put one of his hands on his chin.

...This situation... doesn't seem like an audience between a king and his subject or his subordinate... Rather, it's like... a casual talk between close friends?!