20. Attempts

Sam's P.O.V

I don't really expect Jerome's half-naked body to be pressed on mine when I wake up, so it's more of a shock when it turns out to be exactly like that.

He doesn't have a shirt on, and my back is pressed against his chest, making me feel more and more awkward.

His arms are wrapped around my body, preventing me from leaving, one of his legs is resting on my hips, and stretches out to the bottom of my feet.

Although I don't want to admit it, especially not to him, it's pretty comforting, actually.

"No... no. Please don't," Jerome mumbles in his sleep. He must be having a nightmare.

I slowly turn myself so that I'm facing him.

"Don't. Don't, please. Lila. Mom!"

Although he does scare me, I still see the same little boy I became friends with, and I still hope that I can change him.

"Jerome!" I grab his shoulders, shaking him a bit.

His eyes instantly open.

"It was just a bad dream," I reassure him, unsure about how he'll react.

He doesn't say anything, but gives me a nod, which I know is his way of saying "thanks".

"Are you hungry?" He sits up, ignoring what happened before.

I sit up as well, looking towards him, "Yeah."

"I'll go get you something, stay here."

He gets off of the bed, picking up his shirt from the floor, and putting it on. Then, he walks over to the door, opening it without glancing back.

I don't think he locked it this time. Either in shock of what happened, or because he's too tired to remember.

I walk over towards it, and sure enough, when I turn the handle, the door creaks open.

I peek my head outside, but there isn't anyone in the corridor. This is definitely the home of a millionaire. Too bad I don't want to stay for long.

I step out of the doorframe, gulping quietly.

I take a few steps forward, when a voice snarls at me.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?"

I turn around, to see a tall woman, giving me the death glare.

She has a whip in her hand.

"I-I-" Stuttering like crazy, I try to think of an excuse.

For a second, I see something other than anger flash across her face. Pity.

"You're that Sam girl, aren't you?"

I nod in reply.

She sighs, "Barbara told me about you."

"Barbara? Is she okay?"

A hand flies over my mouth from behind me.

"Oh, she's fine. Bit bitchy here and there, but perfectly fine," The person holding me giggles.

"Jerome," the woman huffs.

"Oh hey, Tabitha. Just gonna go back to my room, that okay with you?"

She glances from me to him, "Barb doesn't know about this, does she?"

"And I'd like to keep it that way, Tabby."

"I won't lie for you, psycho."

With that, she stomps away.

Jerome pushes me back into his room, locking the door behind him.

By the look of fury on his face when he turns to me, I know I've done it this time.

----

This was a bit short, but I usually don't have a certain length I need to reach when writing these. I just go along with it. (Later in the story I keep to 1000+ worded chapters, sometimes 2000+)

AND I REACHED 20 CHAPTERS WHOOP WHOOP!

I literally planned to do like 10-15 but now I'm pretty sure this is going to be 30+. Maybe 40+ Idrk.

(Lmao I come back to this chapter and I'm on like chapter 60 now wtf)