42. Little Miss Proxy

Jerome's P.O.V

I start whistling as throughout the awkward elevator ride. The old dear next to me is silently whimpering. Of course, due to my Glasgow smile, my whistling sounds as if I'm spitting.

"I used to be a great whistler."

"Mmm-hmm," she murmurs, not looking at me.

The elevator dings, signalling that it's my stop. I wave goodbye to the oldie, and then walk towards the front desk, swinging the shotgun that's in my hand about.

"Um, yeah, hi," I say, and the receptionist looks up at me. By the look on her face, I can tell that she recognises me.

"I'm here to see Xander Wilde. And no..." I rest my shotgun on my shoulder. "I don't have an appointment."

She points over to the stairs, before quickly getting up from her seat and running.

"Don't bother going to security. They're all-" I yell, her scream suddenly piecing the air, "-headless."

I skip up the stairs, jumping up the last few when I reach the top.

To the left of me, there's a sort of conference. I quietly step inside the room that has windows for walls.

They don't notice me, since they're all too busy looking at the screen.

"All right," The one who I assume is the boss speaks as I look at the small building models, "if you would all please look at the rendering, you'll notice that there are several interesting engineering problems that present themselves. Mostly-"

I pump my shotgun, turning around after they they all gasp.

"Oh, don't get up," I wave them to sit back down, which they do. "I won't waste too much of your time."

I knock over one of the models, then creep closer to the boss, "I've got a business proposition."

A few of them start begging, so I raise my voice.

"Tell me what I want to know, and you don't get turned inside out."

"Please, don't... don't hurt anyone," Boss-man pleads.

"Where is Xander Wilde?" I chuckle.

"He's... he's not here."

"Yeah. I'm not blind." I tap his glasses, "Maybe you are." Then, I look to another person, "You know? Hmm?"

"No one does. He's never set foot in this office."

"Okay," I mutter, aiming and shooting at a guy, who falls out of his chair.

Everyone screams, and I just roll my eyes. I'm used to the screaming and pleading.

"Oh, God!"

I pump my shotgun again.

"We-we- we've never met," I put the end of the gun in the boss's face. "I-I've only ever communicated to him through a proxy!"

"Proxy?" I repeat.

"Y-Yeah."

I cackle loudly, "That slippery little sucker thinks he can get away from me."

I wrap my hand around his tie, bringing him closer to the gun.

"Where can I find this proxy, pray tell?"

"I-I I'll tell you! I'll tell you..."

----

Ecco's P.O.V (the 'proxy')