51. The Insanity Gas

Jeremiah's P.O.V

"Get back! GCPD, everybody get back." Gordon shouts to the people surrounding where my brother is.

I spot someone next to him.

"Sam!"

She runs to me, pulling me into a tight hug as she cries onto my shirt. I don't mind, though.

"It was me..." she sobs, but I don't know what she's talking about.

"I'm glad you're okay. I-If you got hurt, I would never have been able to forgive myself."

I place an arm over her shoulder, and we walk towards Gordon and my brother.

For some reason, I find a tear make its way into my eye when I realise that Jerome is dead. I quickly wipe it away. For some reason, I have a feeling that this is his last death, and he won't be coming back again.

"We've got a hotel for you, Samantha. It'll be safer because Jerome's cult won't know where you are," Gordon states, and much to my distaste she pulls away from me, nodding slowly.

I walk past her and the officers, only to be stopped by a voice.

"Mr Valeska." I turn around to face Bruce Wayne again. "I meant what I said about your work being of importance to this city. Let Wayne Enterprises fund your work with a grant."

"Thank you," I smile at him, and then walk away again.

I ignore the looks I get from passersby, but find myself getting shouted at.

"Jeremiah!"

I turn at Sam's voice, as she stops in front of me.

"What-"

She cuts him off by kissing me on the cheek. I feel the heat rise to my face, as I just stand there like an idiot, staring at her.

"That's for letting me stay with you, and for protecting me as long as you could. And-" she lifts herself up onto her toes and kisses me on the lips, before pulling away again. "That's for, well, everything else."

For some reason, I wait for Jerome to jump up and shout at me, but it doesn't happen.

She give me a small smile, which doesn't match up with her sad and tear filled eyes, "I hope I'll be seeing more of you, Mr Valeska." Then, she trudges back over to Gordon.

I regain my confidence, and start walking away again.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't mind the kiss. Actually, I would love for more of them to come.

----

Third Person P.O.V

Jeremiah steps into his office, instantly pouring a glass of scotch for himself, deciding the he definitely needs one.

Lifting his fingers to graze the surface of his lips, he smirks at the oddly numb feeling in them. When he was younger and in the circus, kissing Sam was something he always wanted to do, but he never had the courage. Instead, he just hoped she'd make the first move on him. She never did, and once, a few hours before his uncle forced him to leave, he finally kissed her. He had a feeling that he wanted her to kiss him so bad either to piss Jerome off, since he obviously liked her - or because Jeremiah felt the same way about her too. If he were honest, he'd have to admit that the second reason was the strongest.