38. Arkham Asylum

Sam's P.O.V

The woman sat behind the front desk at Arkham Asylum gives me a strange look.

"I've seen you before," she says aloud as I approach her.

"Uh, I've come to visit someone."

"Visiting hours end in fifteen minutes, so you might want to be quick. Who are you visiting?" She asks.

"Jerome Valeska."

Her eyes widen at that, "I do know you. You're the girl he tried to kill. Why are you visiting him?"

"I have to ask him something. And he- uh- didn't try to kill me."

"Okay. V-Valeska will be sent up to a confined room. There will be guards ready in case he tries anything."

I nod, allowing her to lead me through the asylum.

Before I step into the room, I am asked to empty my pockets of anything sharp. They even take the business card that woman who works for Jeremiah gave me.

I stand outside the door, sighing.

I don't have to do this. But do I want to? Not particularly, but I should just get over with it.

A guard opens the door, and to my surprise, Jerome is already there. The door shuts behind me so quick that I think it'll knock off its hinges.

The guard standing to the back of me leans against the wall, as far away from Jerome as he can get.

Jerome cackles at his behaviour. All the workers and guards obviously scared of him.

Jerome's hands and legs are chained together, he somehow looks scarier in the black and white jumpsuit.

"Come on, doll. I don't bite... hard."

I pluck up the courage, sitting down in the chair opposite him.

"So, you actually decided to come give me a quick visit? It's been about seven weeks, but what the hell. I would give ya' a hug, but-" he raises his chained hands, "-y'know."

"I need to ask you something."

"You're not here just to give your good old pal a little visit?" His Glasgow smile somehow turns down into a deep frown.

"You kidnapped me twice, threatened me and nearly killed my friend. Explain to me how we're pals?"

He laughs, "Oh! You've got a fire in ya'. Weird. Whenever it's just me and you, you're not like this. Maybe it's cause you think I can't do anything to you in these chains."

"When I was seven, me and my parents joined the circus. Me and you grew up together until I turned sixteen..."

"I kinda already knew that," he leans back in his chair.

"Was it all a lie?"

"A lie? Are you calling me a liar? I don't exactly like being called a liar, doll."

"Were you always like this? Did you just pretend to me that you weren't..."

"That I wasn't what? Spit it out."

"Insane," I blurt out. "Were you like this the whole time I knew you? Did I not really know you, at all?"

He chuckles, "Oh, Sammy, Sammy, Sammy... you really think you don't know me?"

"I argued that you only became like this after killing Lila, so I hope I do."

I realise what I said wrong when it's too late. He takes in my words, before repeating the part I hoped he didn't notice.

"You 'argued'? So, who did you argue with?"

Oh no.

"Alright, times up," The guard behind me squeaks.

"No. No, I don't think it is." Jerome stands up from his chair, still glaring at me.

"Actually, you still have another ten minutes," The guard agrees.

Oh my God. Jerome has them all under his thumb. They're too scared to disagree with him. He can escape any time he likes.

Jerome moves forward, slowly pushing himself away from the chair.

He can't hurt me. He's chained up. He can't do anything. Stay calm.

He walks closer to me, and then sits down on the table, his chained legs facing my way.

"I'll ask you again. Who did you argue with?" His voice is more sinister.

I keep quiet.

"Do you remember my brother?" I feel my heart rise up to my throat. "He always loved his little mazes and drawings... I just wonder where he went."

He can probably read the horrified expression on my face like a book.

"I-I need to go..."

"Oh, I'm sure you do," he leans in closer to me, his voice turning into a low snarl. "Be sure to say "hi" to him."

He nods at the guard, who grabs me by my shoulders, lifting me up from my feet.

He directs me towards to door, before Jerome speaks again.

"Oh, and Sammy?"

The guard stops me in my spot.

"Don't even think about running away and trying to start a new life without me, you got that?"

"But I've already started a new life without you, Jerome."

"Why are you visiting me today, then?" He slyly replies, before the guard opens the door and pushes me out.