24. The Fundraiser

2241 words. I think that's pretty long, for me, anyway.

----

Sam's P.O.V

The first thing Barbara does when Jerome leaves is nearly strangle me in a tight hug.

"I missed you," I squeak over her obvious happiness.

"Did he hurt you?" Is the what she asks me first, her eyes narrowing in anger.

"No," I tell her the truth, "he was scary at times, yeah... but he was also kind to me, if you can believe it."

"I don't think I can," she crosses her arms. "You can tell me if he hurt you, you know that? He won't be able to threaten you if I stab-"

"I'm serious, Barb. He didn't hurt me," I hold my hands up, and she sighs.

"Good. Now, he wants you to be ready for the charity event tonight."

"Why is he bringing me?" I ask nervously.

"I don't know, to be honest. Probably to make a point to the GCPD that you're his 'property'."

I scoff at the idea, "Jerome told me that he owned me. It's so stupid."

"Yeah. Greenwood, when he was alive, said that he wanted to eat you. Jerome made a big deal that you were his and if Greenwood even looked at you wrong... well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty."

I gulp at the idea of a cannibal wanting to eat me.

"Anyway..." She continues, "let's chose you something to wear."

After she lets me clean myself up in the bathroom, giving me a toothbrush as well, she shows me a massive cabinet to the side of her, pulling it open.

I have to stop myself from gaping at the amount of clothes, since their all probably stolen.

I need to not forget that Barbara is also one of the Arkham escapees.

In the end, we both pick out a shortish red dress, and some red heels that don't even make me look much taller. (If you don't like it, just imagine her in something else.)

Barbara puts on a shorter dress, and a mask to cover her eyes.

"You look really good, Sam," Barbara smirks, looking me up and down, after putting a small amount of makeup on me. "Like, if you weren't a kid I would totally hit on you."

I roll my eyes, "Not a kid."

"You'll always be a kid to me, Sammy," she giggles.

Her mood changes in an instant.

"I should take you to Jerome."

----

Barbara's P.O.V

I go to open my door, when I hear Sam address me.

"Barbara?"

I turn around, a smile on my face.

"Yeah?"

"What's going to happen at the charity event? Are you going to kill people? Or is it another publicity stunt?"

"Every publicity stunt we've pulled has ended up with someone dying," I reply.