62. The Forest

Sam's P.O.V

I was never the fastest runner in the circus. I was short, whereas most of the other kids weren't, so they could take bigger steps.

It feels the exact same way as I bolt through the thick forest, because I know that Jeremiah is much faster than me.

This time, if he catches me, I'm sure he'll do much worse than hit me.

I almost scream when I hear the sound of what could only be his footsteps, chasing after me. I don't turn around to check, because I know it'll only waste my time.

Weaving myself in between the trees, I hope that he won't find me.

"Samantha," he calls out, causing me to shudder. "I suggest you stop running, and I won't be as disappointed when I find you."

I ignore his voice, continuing to run, but still trying to keep as quiet as I can. It doesn't help that my muscles are still fucked up, causing me to start limping.

'Disappointed'? His tone sounds as if I've just murdered a family member of his or something- Oh wait...

For a few minutes, the only thing I can hear is the wind, and my short panicked breaths. I stop for a second, leaning on a tree, my leg muscles stinging like hell.

I scream when a hand grabs my wrist, but another one clamps over my mouth. I feel my back get pushed against what could only be Jeremiah's chest, as I start struggling. He knocks something out of my hand, which I forgot I was even holding. The knife.

"You shouldn't have done that," he growls, his breath on my ear. "You've left me no choice. If it's the only way you'll learn, I have to teach you a lesson."

This only heightens my panic, and I bite down hard on his hand, causing him to drop me.

He looks at the blood I've drawn on his finger, but before he can do anything, I kick him where it'll really hurt and begin running again. Adrenaline makes me go faster, powered by the fear in my body.

This time, I don't stop for anything. I keep on running in the same direction, Jeremiah's angry shouts becoming more distant with each step I take.

I soon reach the end of the forest, and onto a road that is dimly lit by the light from the moon. There's a few signs, and I have to squint my eyes to read them. They point me in the direction of where I need to go.

There's only one person who I trust enough to go to. Plus, I never told Jeremiah about them. I hope that Vicky has left Gotham, but if she hasn't, I need to check on her. Then, I'll leave. I'm not going to endanger her.

----

Third Person P.O.V

Samantha doesn't know how she made it to Vicky's place without being found by any of the gangs on the streets, the GCPD, or Jeremiah. She has a feeling that he may have placed a bounty on her head. She hopes it stated that she should be brought back alive, and not dead.

She kept to the alleys, and to her surprise, she didn't see anyone. Of course, since most of the GCPD and everyone else are gone, criminals aren't hanging out in alleys. They are in the streets, doing what they like because they don't think they can be stopped.

When she reaches Vicky's home, she's shocked that the door is already open.

Sam slowly steps inside, tapping the door with her hand, causing it to swing open. She shuts the door behind her, locking it. It's a relief when she checks her wardrobe, to see all of her clothes are gone, along with any valuables.

"She's gone."

Samantha abruptly turns at the voice that she knows. She's glad it's not Jeremiah, but she's even more shocked at the man in front of her.

"What the hell are you doing here?" She tries to sneer at him, but it doesn't work. How did he get in? She locked the door... He must've been inside already. He knew she was coming here.

"What?" The man sighs, stepping closer. "You didn't miss me?"

Sam gives him a look that tells him the answer to that question, but also coolly states, "I'll ask you again - What are you doing here, Keith?"

He chuckles emotionlessly, but then his face forms into a look of sadness, "Can't a man come and visit his daughter?"

She scoffs at that, "You're not my father."

"What am I then?"

"A fucking asshole."
----

Sorry, this is shorter than usual, and late af.

I'm ill so yeah.