63. Father, Dearest

woah. I've been getting comments and messages to upload more, and I actually really appreciate that you guys enjoy my writing. I mean, I thought it was shite and I'm sorry I haven't updated. I'm just ill. ;)

----

Third Person P.O.V

Samantha watches her 'father' wearily, not knowing whether he is a friend, or a foe. The last time she saw him, Jerome had only been murdered by Galavan a month or so before. She remembers the day clearly.

She was still broken up after Jerome's death, and when her father offered to see her again, she wasn't in the right mind to say no. She knew he was an asshole, but she was hoping that this one time, he would actually step up and act like a dad.

But no. When she got there, the first thing he asked when she walked into his dingy flat was if she had any money on her. Her father was a drug addict, and she knew what he wanted the money for. When she didn't have any she could give him, he kicked her out.

So she has every right to be confused at why Keith is here. He surely would know about the dangers in Gotham, and she doubts that he'd risk his life, even if he knew hers was in danger.

"What," he begins, smiling warmly at her disgusted expression, "you ain't gonna give your old man a hug?"

He spreads his arms out, and Sam scoffs, before chuckling lightly.

"How did you get in?"

"The door was open when I got here. Your friend left in a hurry. She contacted me before she left, telling me how much of a shitty father I was and that I should go fuck myself."

"It's dangerous here. You should leave," Sam states blankly, her eyes narrowing in a hateful glare.

"I can't leave you here, can I?"

"You left me here over two years ago. Don't pretend you care now."

The man who was going bald sighed started shaking his head slightly, "I'm sorry. I should've checked up on you."

"'Checked up on me'? You should have been here for me when my best friend killed his mom! When he kidnapped me! When he fucking died! And that's only the half of it," she snaps, her fists clenched in her fit of fury.

"I was on a list. Don Falcone wanted me dead after I made a big screw-up. He sent Victor Zsasz to try and find me. I didn't contact you because I knew that if they found out about it, they wouldn't hesitate in killing you. Please, I pushed you away to protect you. But now, Don Falcone is dead, and you're in more danger then I could've imagined."

Samantha is in shock at his words. He has to be lying. He has to be. She tries to convince herself, but she notices the look in his eyes. Guilt.

Her mouth goes dry, and the only thing she says is, "You're right about the danger part. I'm being hunted down every second, right as we speak, so I suggest you leave. He won't hesitate to kill you, even if it's just to get to me."

"Jeremiah Valeksa was that kid when me, you and... your mom were in the circus. I remember him. He left a few years after we joined. You two were close... like you were with his twin. Why are they both so obsessed with you?" He ignores what she said, asking his own question.

"Believe me, I ask myself that everyday. Jerome isn't obsessed with me, not anymore. I'm sure you've heard that he's dead."

Keith nods, taking in the information, as Samantha pours herself a drink.

"You should stay here. I can protect you," he suggests, much to her amusement.

"Just because you told me some sap story, doesn't mean I want you to act like I'm your daughter. You haven't most of your life, and I want you to keep that up, so I don't get disappointed all over again.

"Please, Samantha," the man begs, gently grabbing onto her arm as she makes her way towards the door, stopping her in her tracks.

She sighs, ignoring the pleading look in his eyes, "I'm doing this for your protection. If I stay here with you, and he finds out..."

"I don't care what he'll do to me, I can keep you safe, if you go out on the streets, you could get attacked."

Although she hates to admit it, her father does have a point. If Jeremiah really has placed a bounty on her, it'll be a lot safer inside, not out.

"Fine, I'll stay. But if you bring in any drugs or try to make me buy you some like you did when we were at the circus... I'll be out of here."

"I understand," Keith smiles, pulling her into a hug.

She just awkwardly stands there, and pats his back.

"Okay, enough of the family reunion, please," a woman coolly says, causing the pair to pull away, and look into the corner of the room, where the silhouette of a person is standing.

"Who are you?" Sam asks, squinting her eyes as she tries to get a better look.

"I don't work for the pale freak, if you're wondering. No, I'm... close with the woman who shot you in the stomach."

The both of them watch as she steps forward, revealing herself. Sam mildly remembers her, but does not know that her name is Tabitha Galavan.

Samantha curses the fact that she told Barbara - her ex-friend - about Vicky. She must've paid attention to those conversations, and found out where Vicky lived.

"You're friends with Barbara? What, are you here to finish the job?" She snarls, not even considering that she could be pissing Tabitha off.

"No. She actually wants to speak with you in person."

She doesn't have time to question it, as someone behind her hits her head with the handle of the gun.

The last thing she sees is her father fall to the floor as well, before everything goes dark.