45. Accusations

Sam's P.O.V

Darkness. That's all I can see.

I can only watch as Scarecrow sprays the murky gas into my face. I hear my own dainty cough, before beginning to feel completely weightless. My eyes shut, darkness surrounding me. It's as if I'm floating away, not completely there, and yet, I can still hear the muffled shouting around me. For a strange reason, it feels utterly peaceful.

For a bit, I won't have to worry about Jerome, or Jeremiah. I won't have to watch if one of the people I care about get hurt. Of course, I will eventually have to wake up, soon enough, and when I do finally wake, who knows where I'll be? Still in the maze? At the GCPD? With Jerome?

All of these thoughts surround my head in a couple of seconds.

I try to speak, but the words are lost, along with my consciousness, as I hear a few guns go off around me.

----

Jerome's P.O.V

"A test subject?" Crane ponders as I step into the back of the van, Sam still snuggling into my chest as I carry her.

Jervis' eyes wander over her body for too long, causing me to turn her away from him.

"No," I grit out, holding back a snarl.

"It seems like you, Mr Valeska, have a soft spot for this girl," Tetch says as he shuts the van's back doors behind him, causing the van to start to move instantaneously.

"I wonder what it would do to you if she ended up dead... Now I think about it, wouldn't it be your worst fear?" Crane steps closer to me, and I narrow my eyes. "Watching as the life slowly ebbs out of her fragile body? Knowing full well, that it is no ones fault, but your own?"

"Hey, hey, hey. Firstly, there's no need to go making assumptions. Secondly, if we're all in here, then who the hell is driving this damn thing?" I change the subject.

"I am," a voice in the front says.

There's a man sitting in the seat, past the window that separates the back of the van from the front, happily driving us along.

He's clearly under the influence of Tetch's hypnosis. He looks elderly, and could probably have a heart attack at any given moment.

"Oh well, that makes me feel a whole lot better then," I scoff.

----

Jim's P.O.V

"It's my fault."

Jeremiah mumbles under his breath throughout the entire car journey back to GCPD.

Harvey sends me a worried glance, before addressing him, "Um, you alright back there?"

I see Jeremiah look up from the floor, and to the mirror.

"I didn't tell her that he was in the same building as her. I thought that she would leave, and I didn't want her to. I was so goddamn selfish, and now it's going to get her killed."

"This is the third time Jerome has kidnapped Samantha. On both of the last two occasions, she came back unharmed. He's taken a sort of obsession over her, and I highly doubt he'll want to hurt her. But that doesn't mean we aren't trying all we can to get her back," I add on the last part when I catch him send me a glare.