79. Painful Memories

This chapter is more of a flashback, but hey hey I still have some character change in Sam. Kinda.

----

Third Person P.O.V (some people don't like third person, but I prefer it to first. Opinions?)

Samantha sits beside Bruce on the couch, a small cup of water in her hands. She gently sips it, as he stares at her knowingly. Their breakdown only happened a few minutes ago, and they are still recovering from the painful memories of their dead friends, and parents.

While Bruce memorises all of the things he did with his mother and father, Sam can't help but think about her earlier years, with Jerome. God, she misses him. Why was she always so horrible to him? Yes, he was a murderer, and she hates that, but she can never hate him. The things he did, she loathes, but she doubts that she could ever feel the same about him, as a person.

If only Samantha realises that there is in fact something wrong with her, before she begins to memorise the thoughts of that psychopathic, yet charming ginger.

She doesn't register Bruce speaking to her, because her mind takes a plunge into the past.

----

Third Person (past tense) P.O.V

The small fair haired girl never had many friends as a kid. Whether it was because of her drunkard father, or because her family were travellers, she didn't know. She was constantly judged, although she was only six, because of her family.

She didn't care though. She had her mother, who was her best friend, even with her health rapidly deteriorating and her eyes becoming slightly dimmer every day. Her father, on the other hand, wasn't someone she adored. He would make her buy 'special white powder', as he called it, from strange men. Her mother had no idea that the thing Keith used to cope was coming from their daughter. If she did, she would've chopped him up with an axe.

The best memory Samantha has is actually the one of the day she met Jerome. If only she could go back to that day. She would've taken Jerome and Jeremiah, and they would've ran away together. There wouldn't be any fighting, murdering, or insanity gasses. They would be happy. But alas, that's not how things turned out.

----

A younger Sam stood awkwardly with her mother, clenching her hand as if her life depended on it. Her father was speaking to the ringleader, seeing if they could get a space in the circus. It offered free places to park their vehicles, and mostly free food.

They didn't have any special qualities, however Keith thought that they could help cleaning up after shows. The only cleaner they had at the time was Jerome, who cleared up elephant dung, even though he was so young. Of course, Keith ordered Samantha to clean up with the boy he heard about, so that they could 'bond'. It obviously wasn't because he didn't want to do it himself, and told his wife that she was out making friends and not doing his job.

On the first night of their stay, Samantha snuck out, because she had heard so much about the elephants she would be cleaning. Kissing her sleeping mother on the forehead, she hopped out of the window with ease, and looked around the place. It was dimly lit up, with the lights not being strong enough against the harsh darkness of the night.

With a quiet giggle, the younger girl began to stride towards where the ringleader had told her the elephants were. She didn't realise that she was in fact being watched. She paraded into the large sort of teepee, and gasped at the sight in front of her.