30. The Circus

Sam's P.O.V

When I regain my consciousness, I realise that I'm being practically held up.

Something is over my face, probably a black bag, and someone has their arm around my waist, holding me off of the ground.

Music. Cheery music. That's what I hear. It reminds me of me and Jerome's younger years in the circus, but we can't be at Haly's. It's not arrived at Gotham, not yet. Where the hell am I?

I groan as the bag is lifted off my head, the bright lights causing me to close my eyes.

The person holding me reduces their grip on my waist, and my feet hit the floor. Then, they grab both of my arms with their hands, stopping me from making a run for it.

I blink, trying to focus on the lights, and the people around me.

I try to elbow the person behind me, but instantly stop when a harsh laugh erupts right in front of me.

I look up from the floor, and there he is.

The bastard that has ruined everything in my life. He kidnapped me. Threatened to hurt me. And yet, I still can't help but feel strangely relieved at seeing the boy I grew up with, and eventually fell for.

Those feelings instantly evaporate when he approaches me.

The insane glint in Jerome's eyes makes me question something: will he hurt me? Cliche, I know, but I can't help that the thought is spinning in my head.

When he's a few metres away from me, I notice the sharp object in his hands. A switchblade.

My eyes travel down to it, and then back up to him, and the look on my face makes his grin widen.

I look around for anything, or anyone.

Behind Jerome is a small group of people. They're all wearing clown makeup. One of them is holding someone by their wrist. They also have a bag over their head.

Bruce.

"Ah, ta, ta," Jerome practically lunges forward, tutting. "Look at me."

He grabs my face with one hand when I keep looking away from him, tugging it so that I can't help but look him in his eyes.

----

Jerome's P.O.V

She tries to muster up a glare, but fails, and I chuckle under my breath.

"I'm glad you're awake, I want you to see this."

I quickly bring the knife up to her face. No, I'm not going to hurt her. I just wanna see if she trusts me or not.

She doesn't recoil when I lift the blade up, and still keeps deadly still when I press the cold metal against her cheek. Either she knows I won't hurt her, she's too scared to try anything, or she was expecting me to do it.

The middle option sounds more like it, with all the cowering and crying I remember.

She then tries to move away from me, but the goon behind her prevents it.