37. Jeremiah Valeska

First part is flashback from what happened after the scene I published in my first chapter.

----

Sam's P.O.V

"Last one to the park is a loser!" I shout, playfully pushing him and starting to run.

"Hey! No fair!"

I giggle, continuing to run forward. I turn around to see Jerome gaining on me. When I turn back, I bump into someone else, toppling them over and falling on top of them.

"Ouch," Jeremiah breathes out.

"I'm so sorry, Miah!" I stand myself up, picking up the things I made him drop on the floor. They look like more maze designs.

Jerome runs up behind me.

"Happy birthday to you as well!" I throw my arms around Jeremiah, in which he hugs me back. I pass him his things and turn to Jerome, who glares at his twin for a few seconds.

"Where are you going?" Jeremiah asks.

"Just go back to drawing some of your mazes, Jeremiah. You're not invited," Jerome huffs.

"I wasn't talking to you," Jeremiah counters.

"Hey! Don't be mean to each other, it's your birthdays! I've still got to wait ages until mine. And we are going to find one of the passed out clowns, Miah. I've got some pens in my pocket."

"Oh, okay. That sounds fun. I'm going to-" Jeremiah begins.

"-do your math and your mazes. That's all you care about, right?" Jerome cuts him off.

"I care about Sam."

"That's really sweet, Miah," I smile at him warmly.

"Hey! I care about you too," Jerome waves his arms about, "don't I get any special treatment?"

I roll my eyes, still grinning.

"Anyway, I'm busy at the moment. Maybe I'll see you later?" Jeremiah shrugs.

"Yeah. We can share the cake I bought for you both."

"I thought it was for me?" Jerome pretends to cry.

"You big baby," I laugh, waving goodbye to Jeremiah who walks away.

Little did I know, over a year later Jeremiah would leave the circus.

----

X.W/ Xander Wilde/ Jeremiah Valeska's P.O.V

"Jeremiah?" She furrows her eyebrows for a second, "I thought you were... I don't know. You just... vanished."

"I did," I say blankly, stepping away from my desk and towards her.

"I think I'll leave," she glares at me, and although she has every right to feel angry, I can't help but be a little sad.

"Look, I know you're upset-"

"Upset?" She scoffs, crossing her arms over her chest. "You left without any explanation. Jerome wouldn't talk about you, at all. I had to pretend that you didn't even exist. And then, out of the blue, you decide you want to speak to me?"

"I had to leave. Jerome was going to kill me."

She shakes her head, "You and Jerome hated each other, I know. But Jerome wouldn't have done that."

"Is that what you said before you found out he killed my mother?"

She flushes red with anger, "Pardon my language, Mr Wilde, but fuck you."

"He kidnapped you twice, yet you still stand up for him? And you can call me by my real name."

"No. I'm not going to stick up for what he is now. But before... it happened, he was a good person, Mr Wilde."

"Of course, that's what he pretended to be. His goal was to impress you, and torment me."

"I-I..." She sighs, holding back the anger evident in the way she looks at me, "Why did you want to meet me here?"

"We both know that Arkham Asylum won't hold Jerome. He's escaped before, and he will escape again."

"Go on."

"I spent six years building my home, because I knew Jerome would come after me. It's a maze, and it took three days for the best maze designer in the country to figure it out. If you want, you can stay here. For your safety."

"No," she growls. "I don't need you to protect me. Believe me, as soon as I hear that he's escaped, I'll be out of Gotham in a second."

"So you admit that he will escape?"

She stiffens up, "It was... interesting talking to you, Mr Wilde. I'll be going now."

I sigh, pressing one of the two buttons under my desk that opens the door. Ecco is already waiting there for her.

"I really hope you consider my offer, Samantha," I turn back to my blueprints. "Even if you've forgotten that we were once friends, I haven't."

"We were once friends... Funny. I was about to say the same thing to you, Mr Wilde."

I hear her footsteps leave the room, and the door shuts behind her.

----

Sam's P.O.V

I call a taxi outside the stupid concrete building block, or maze, or what ever it is.

I can practically feel the anger radiating off me all the way through the drive back to my home. The taxi driver probably felt it too, because he didn't even bother to ask me for the money.

I get into my home, the words Jeremiah said running around my mind.

"Of course, that's what he pretended to be."

Jerome didn't pretend to be a good person, right? He was... but Lila just... tipped him off the edge.

I can't confirm it.

It doesn't matter. The only person who can confirm it is someone who I've been wanting to see. I think. Well, they did get mad when I didn't visit them last time.

I've never been to Arkham Asylum, and I'm not sure how Jerome will react when I show up there.