Chapter 1 (Same Old Saturday)

My Saturdays start the same, I wake up to the feeling of my dog Roxy licking me all over my face to tell me that she is hungry and that she needs to eat, but there is the rare occasion that Roxy isn't up yet and I get to sleep in. Today is one of those days, I ease myself into consciousness, without thinking I stretch I see that the Husky is still sleeping like a baby in her white dog bed beside my desk, my eyes look around my room with vintage-inspired furniture and light blue walls. The blinds on my windows are open. I sit up and grab my phone on the white nightstand to check and see if I got any new notifications or messages. Seeing that there were no messages reminds me that I don't have many friends. I set my phone down next to me on the bed. "What's the point, Katy?" I thought out loud.

 Ever since I got diagnosed, no one aside from my family and a really close friend wants anything to do with me. As I sit up, I see the sunlight shine through my window in such a way it looks like my wall is encrusted with diamonds. I shuffle over to my window and sit on the cushions on the large window sill. I see my grey and white cat Smokey yawn. He jumps on the sitting area with such grace that if I hadn't heard him yawn I wouldn't have even known that he was even there until he jumped on the cushion next to me. I look out the window and see the robins and swallows playing in the Ash trees in our front lawn, I also see the neighbourhood cat cross our driveway at that moment and Smokey starts to hiss at the tabby cat in the yard. 

"Smokey that's enough," I say.

 He looks at me with those green eyes that are as bright as emeralds. He lays down next to me and starts to purr as I stroke his long silky coat, and at that moment I feel myself begin to relax.

I reach for my copy of "The Fault In Our Stars" that is directly in front of me on the right side of the window.

I open the window to allow the gentle breeze in my room, the smells of the recent rain and the flowers that are in bloom overwhelm me, and the sight of our tulips in the front yard and the smell of lilacs are there to remind me that it's the middle of March. The houses on our street are quiet probably because it's still March Break, but school starts up again on Monday so things are starting to go back to normal in that I'm starting to see people come home from vacations.

Just as I'm starting to lose myself in my book I hear my stomach growl, and the smell of breakfast on makes me get up. 

I make my way downstairs and the smell of bacon and french toast overwhelms me. I see my mom's brilliant red hair. My sister Alexa is sitting at the kitchen island and turns around to face me with her blonde hair, and her beautiful blue eyes, the blue eyes that I admired so much when I was little. You can tell that she got my mom's good looks. With her beautiful body, it's no wonder that she does modelling.

"It's about time you came down," she says with sarcasm. "What took so long?" she says as I enter the predominantly white kitchen and sit on the stool next to her and rest my arms on the cold marble counter-top.

"Long story," I say. 

My mom turns around from the black stove. "Oh good Katy, you're up. We're having french toast and bacon," she says.

 As she says french toast, I feel my mouth begin to water. For as long as I can remember, french toast has always been my favourite food. 

"Sounds delicious," I say. 

I look around our modern style kitchen and notice that someone is missing from the table. "Where's dad?" I ask. 

"He had to go to work today, said it was something important," my mom says.

It's very unusual for my dad to work on a weekend especially on a holiday, but my dad is a history professor at George Brown College. So knowing him, he'd want to reorganize his office, or maybe he's in a meeting.