chapter 18 (First day of school)

I can't believe that summer is over already, today is the first day of school and I'm not sure I'm looking forward to it. And I love school, but I'm not looking forward to seeing all of the other students after summer, because like it or not people can change over the course of a few months and sometimes not for the better. But I have something to say to them and if they don't like it, then too bad.

The sound of my alarm is not welcomed and I end up almost throwing it on the floor. I groan and slip my feet into my slippers and saunter downstairs in my pyjamas. The calming scent of french toast washes over me like a wool blanket and that makes the morning just a little more enjoyable. I notice that Smokey is stretching and yawning and before I know it he's asking for me to pick him up. I chuckle and lift up my cat who goes limp in my arms before walking downstairs.

I walk downstairs and I see that someone is notably absent. Sure it's different not having my sister here in the mornings on most days, and it's just something I'm going to have to get used to but she comes home for dinner.

I slide into one of the stools and start to dig into my breakfast when my mom turns around and she's got one of those looks on her face that's telling me that she has something to say.

"It sure is different not having your sister around isn't it?" she says cleaning up the dishes.

"Yeah, but she does still live at home, mom" I reply making her laugh.

"I guess that's true," she says while giving me one of her award-winning smiles.

I've always loved it when I see my mother smile. When she does she lights up an entire room and she makes everyone around her want to smile too, even if they don't know what she's smiling for. I know that it's special people like her that you want in your life.

I finish up the rest of my food and start to make my way upstairs to finish getting ready.

"Thanks for putting your dishes in the dishwasher" I hear my mom call from behind me with clear sarcasm in her voice. That stops me in my tracks.

"Alright, I'm sorry" I reply rolling my eyes in a joking manner.

Mom shakes her head like she's told me to do that a million times before that. Most likely because she has told me at least a hundred times in the past week to put my dishes away.

I make it back upstairs and put on the outfit that I had hung up on the hanger last night. A cropped pink Victoria Secret sweater and some white jeans and a black belt. After I've finished putting everything into my backpack I walk over to what's now my bathroom and start to do my hair. I pull out all of the different tools for my hair and pull my natural brown hair into one of my reverse braided buns.

I know that it's one of my usual hairstyles, but believe it or not, it actually takes me longer to do two dutch braids in the morning. I don't know why but I just take longer to do it.

After I finish I look down at the gold watch on my wrist and see that Jake is going to be here any minute now to pick me up. And yes I have my drivers licence, but it was decided that he was going to take me to school every day and drop me off.

I run to my room and pick up my backpack and I almost run down the stairs to grab my lunch. I run so fast that I nearly slip on a mouse toy that Smokey has left in the middle of the floor. After that, I'm sure to be careful of other pet toys that may be on the floor that I may not notice otherwise.

I open the front door and step onto the cobblestone walkway. And just as I lean on the wall of the house I see his old pickup truck pull into the driveway. He cranks down the window down and hangs out the window.