Chapter 9 (Is it ever like this?)

It's been a week since I almost told Jake about my dark and depressing past and I can't stop thinking about it. I wish I could tell him about what really happened, but I can't bring myself to tell him for the fear that he will treat me the same as everyone else when they found out. They treated me like I was still sick and that I was like a loose cannon like I was about to explode at any minute if someone said something wrong. And to be quite honest I like that Marisa isn't afraid that what she says to me might hurt me because one day I know that I'm going to be stronger than her. And let me just say that even though she wears four and a half inch heels every day to school, I'm still at least an inch and a half taller than her in my Adidas sneakers so, I don't know how she thinks that she's bigger than me.

I'm in another world while I try and get reading for history done so that I don't have to worry about it later, but the lesson that we tried to learn today was about how life for women in North America changed when their husbands had to fight in the war. Boring.

I'm just about to start the last page in the reading when my phone lights up with a new message. It's from Jake of course. Ever since last week, he's been texting me like it's no man's business. Of course, I don't mind though, if anything it keeps me present.

Meet me at the Sugar Shack in half an hour? I have something I want to tell you.

The Sugar Shack is an old nineteen-fifties style diner named for the sugar shack that gave the town it's maple syrup, it's, in fact, it's an old nineteen-hundreds sugar shack that was renovated on the inside but kept the old run-down exterior. Now it's a common place for milkshakes, ice cream floats and burgers.

Sure.

I make my way down the stairs and Roxy is almost walking on my heels. I see that my dad is once again in the recliner chair with a mug of steaming hot coffee reading the newspaper.

"See you later dad," I say hugging him like I do every time I leave the house when he's home.

"Hey where are you going in such a hurry?" he asks.

"I'm just meeting a new friend at the Sugar Shack" I reply. "I'll text you when I'm on my way back"

He smiles at me. "All right, have a good time," he says when I'm almost out the door.

"Bye," I shout and shut the door behind me.

I look around and see that my blue women's comfort bike is still sitting on the side of the house, I sling my cross body handbag over my bike and peddle down the driveway. See one dog and their owner out on a walk that I've actually seen when Roxy and I go to the dog park. Let's just say that it's always a different story when they see each other.

The old diner is about a half an hour bike ride from where I live and the ride is almost always a joy except for when it suddenly starts to rain in the middle of the ride. I love the feeling of the wind in my hair and the soft chill that you get on your cheek in the spring and fall months when it's cold but not unbearable. When I'm on a long bike ride it's the only time that my thoughts aren't in control of me because I'm so focused on what I see around me.

I don't waste any time when I get to the old and run-down diner and I secure my bike lock around one of the parking signs. I hear the click of the lock and I'm almost running into the small diner. Instantly the smell of maple syrup and pancakes overwhelms me. I look around and see that Jake is sitting in one of the booths at the far corner of the restaurant. I timidly walk up to him and see that he's reading a copy of How to kill a Mocking Bird.

"Hey," I say quietly.

He looks up at me surprised. "Hey" he replies.

I sit down in the booth next to him. "I hope I haven't kept you waiting," I say staring into his chocolate brown eyes.