Chapter 25 (Prom Night)

I feel about as giddy as a kid on Christmas as I get ready for the biggest night in our high school careers. Prom. I've already been to the salon to get my hair and makeup done. And with my hair curled to near perfection and my makeup making me look ready for the Met Ball, it's time for the best part. The dress.

I picked out this V-neck baby blue full-length dress a few months ago with my mom and sister. Mom said that I looked like a supermodel, and Alexa said that I looked more beautiful than a bride. And I have to say that the dress was perfect. It's the most elegant thing I've laid my eyes on, with a high slit thigh, and the fabric more soft than satin. The thing that sold me was the open back with delicate lace.

I walk into my closet and take the dress off the hangar. The slick fabric of the skirt slides in between my fingers and the beads glisten in the sunlight. It all seems surreal because I never thought I would make it to seventeen, let alone Prom. Now that I'm sitting here, waiting for the big night, it doesn't seem real. Like I'm in some kind of dream.

I can't wait to see what everyone else is wearing, and what the banquet hall will look like. I already know what Serena's wearing because I was with her when she bought her dress. An adorable two-piece light yellow dress that made her look like a princess.

I slip the dress on, and Alexa's right there to do up the laces on the back. I turn around and see that she's already tearing up.

"Don't cry, or you're going to make me cry" I say rolling my eyes also holding back tears.

"I can't help it," she says, her voice cracking as she tries to keep it together.

I remember her prom like it was yesterday. She wore this beautiful royal blue gown with a cross halter. Her hair in a gorgeous crown braid that really made her look like royalty. I don't think I've ever seen someone so beautiful in my life. Mom said that I could wear her old prom dress, but we both were adamant about me wearing a new one, and I think that was the right choice. Because I don't think that her old dress would even remotely fit me.

She walks me over to my mirror and fiddles with my hair that's been pulled into a half-up with soft elegant curls. I quickly slapped her hand away so that it won't fall out.

"Hold on, I've got something that will make this even better," she says swiftly stepping out of my room.

I hear her rummaging through her stuff in her room. I'm about to go over and investigate when she marches into my room with her hands behind her back.

She holds out her hand and I see that she's gone to get the beautiful gold flowers that she wore in her hair on her prom. "Now let's make show everyone who's the most beautiful seventeen-year-old in the world," she says.

I stare at myself in the mirror and she's arranged them in the back of my hair and some on the side in a way that a bride would wear them on her wedding day. It's so beautiful it takes my breath away.

I start to walk slowly downstairs. I don't want to forget any part of this and I feel like if I walk too quickly that it will all seem like a blur. I'm in the living room when I see that Mom has something in her hand. She hands me the tiny box. For sure a jewelry box.

"I wanted to surprise you," she says.

I open the box and see the sky blue heart cut stud earrings that I've had my eye on for months. And without me even noticing, she's putting a gold necklace around my neck.

I clip the earrings on and then I get a good look at the necklace. A gold dangle diamond necklace that hits just the right spot on my neck.

"That necklace was your grandmother's. She wore it on her wedding day" Mom says holding back tears. She pushes a strand of fiery red hair out of her face. "She recently came over and told me that she wanted you to have it"