chapter 17(Roses and Thorns)

Only two more weeks and school will be over. The wait has been torturous. Two more weeks and I will be done with Marisa for the whole summer. It's been too long since I've been free from her wrath and hatred, I just want to live a normal life for at least a few months. I know that she will personally see to it that I'm not going to forget about her for the entire summer but I can at least try.

The final bell rings at school and everyone starts to gather up their things and people start to meet up with their friends at the door.

For once I have somewhere to go after school that isn't home. That's right Jake is finally taking me to meet his family. And from what he's told me I can't wait to meet them. It's been over a month and I still haven't met his family.

I make my way out the door and he's right there waiting for me. Before I can even walk past him he's wrapped his arm around me and kisses me on the top of my head.

"Are you ready to meet them?" he asks.

"I've been ready for a while now" I reply rolling my eyes.

He leads me out to the parking lot where all of the students are now talking to their friends before they have to go home. And the younger kids are on their phones waiting for their parents to get them. I'm glad that I didn't have to do that for long because my sister got her G2.

After a little while of walking because he parked way at the back of the parking lot. He opens the passenger side door of his truck for me.

"Why thank you, sir," I say stepping into the car.

"My pleasure," he says smiling and he steps over to the driver's seat.

~

About ten minutes into the ride I start to notice that it's getting a little more cloudy than it was before and it looks like it might rain, I guess that it doesn't matter if it's going to rain, it's been so dry and the flowers in the gardens need water. I know that spring is over and summer is in full swing because kids are spending more time outside than inside. It's not long before we turn into a driveway of a modest home.

"Alright, we're here," Jake says patting me on the shoulder to get my attention.

He takes my hand and walks me up to the front door. Instantly we're met with a small dog, not even a year old and a three-year-old girl. Jake bends down and picks up the little girl with brown curls and blue eyes. I don't know how someone could resist someone as cute as her.

He turns to me and puts her down. "This is my little sister, Skylar," he says pushing her a little closer to me.

"I think I caught on to that" I reply bending down and holding out my hand for her. "Nice to meet you, Skylar"

She timidly takes my hand and then engulfs me in a hug. That was unexpected.

After a second she pulls away and starts to play with the charms on my charm bracelet.

"They're pretty aren't they?" I ask.

She nods her head. "Yeah" she replies taking notice of a charm that is of the Statue of Liberty.

"That's from when I went to New York," I say. She looks at me with pure amazement in her eyes.

"Wow," she says in a voice that sounds like she's in a daze. She then turns to her brother. "When's dad coming home?"

He laughs. "He'll be home soon Monkey," he says rubbing the top of her head. "Why don't you go and play with your dolls while I start making dinner?"

She nods her head and climbs up the stairs to her room. I turn back to jake who looks like he's also daydreaming. Just when I'm about to wave my hand in front of his face I see a smile creep onto his face.