chapter 13 (Forgiveness)

This past week has been like normal, people teasing me for doing absolutely nothing to them. But to my surprise, Marisa's group of friends isn't part of that group that wants to blame me for getting her suspended. It's her own fault. It's Monday, my least favourite day of the week. I know that I shouldn't be afraid to go to school, but Marisa's coming back in three days and I don't think I'm ready. But I know that I can't run anymore.

I stretch when Alexa and I get out of the car to enter the school. As soon as I step out of the car both Jake and Serena race to my side. This has been happening since the start of the week and to be honest I like it like this. Jake wraps his arm around my shoulder and Serena's prancing beside us.

"So glad you're feeling better Thing 1," my best friend says in a sing-song tone.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 were nicknames that were given to us by my dad who said that we were glued to each other at the hip. And I'm not going to lie its kind of true. And ever since then the names have stuck.

"So how was last week for you Thing 2?" I asked rolling my eyes at her.

"Well to start off, Coach had us running laps around the school's track to get ready for the next track and field meet, and then he also had us doing drills on the schoolyard" she replies raising her index finger to show that she wasn't pleased with it.

Serena's been on the track and field team since she could enter last year, and as much as she says she hates practicing for the meets, I know that in the end, she loves to run and can beat out anyone on the track. And the strange thing is that most of the runners are at least six inches taller than her but she still manages to run faster than them. I don't think that she's been in a race where she wasn't on the leader board for the finals. I'm also about four inches taller than her, but she makes up for her small size in a plus-sized personality because I have never met someone with as much personality as her.

We enter the school and Serena and I make our way to math class. When we get there we see that the words Pop Quiz is written in big bold letters across the whiteboard. Oh, this is going to be fun.

~

Once again math class is the most boring part of the day and not a moment too soon, the bell for lunch rings and everyone's out of their seat in half a second. I step out of the class to see that Jake's already standing there and he's giving high fives to some of the members of the hockey team. I look around and see that my best friend is nowhere to be seen. She must have already left to get food.

I would normally say that the walk to the cafeteria is the same, but today I can somehow feel even more eyes on me. "I see what you meant when you said that I was the laughing stock of the school," I say pulling Jake closer to me.

"I'm right here" he replies sensing me tense up. "I'm not going anywhere"

I open the big double doors and instantly I feel a few eyes on me and I can hear the whispers when we walk to the table with my sister and a few of her friends.

Of course, when I hear the whispers I know what they're saying. Now some people would think that I'm making a big deal out of this, but you don't walk these halls every day and you don't feel the eyes on you. But something that I didn't expect is happening, Marisa's group of minions are following me.

I turn back around and see that once again my sister's bragging that she has the best little sister on the planet to her friend Anissa who still complains that she has Serena for a little sister.

She whips her long black hair around to look at her little sister better. "I wish that I had a little sister that was less annoying and wanted to do more things like go shopping with me," she says spitefully looking at Serena.