Chapter 8 (Secrets)

(trigger warning)

I wake up before my alarm today and I notice that I have some unread messages. I open my phone and discover that the first one was from my parents to say that they got home safely. The others are from Serena asking what I've been doing for the past week and why I haven't been texting her as often, but the one that really surprises me is that I got a message from Jake asking if I wanted to hang out today at lunch, and he sent it just five minutes ago. I text him back saying yes and almost instantly after he sends me a smiley face. I chuckle at the cute gesture.

I wish that I could deserve him in any lifetime even though I know he's too good to be in love with someone like me. I know now though that the impossible might just come true, and I know Serena will be itching to find out what's been going on for the past week. I know I'm a horrible friend for keeping something this big from her, but, I like to tease her just a little bit every now and again. And she always pulls some nasty pranks on me on Halloween and April Fools day. Like last year she put itching powder in my shoes while I wasn't looking, but I got her back by putting an air horn under her rolling chair in the computer lab last year. And I the good thing about that prank was I didn't have to worry about saving her a seat because no one wants to sit next to me anyway. Though this year for Halloween I'm almost sure she's going to pull one of those dead body in my bathroom pranks.

I'm lost in my thoughts when I hear the ring of my old fashioned alarm clock, I step over to the side of my bed and flip the off switch. When the alarm goes silent I proceed to pack up the rest of the things I need for school. I recognize the smell of eggs sunny side up with bacon and maple syrup, and for that matter so does Roxy and she's barking like it's no dog's business. Because she's hungry. I sling my backpack over one shoulder and stroke the top of her head.

"C'mon girl, let's eat," I say and her tail starts wagging even more.

I open the door and Roxy's out the door before I can even open it wide enough for me to get through. I follow my dog down the long hallway, and she's downstairs before I can even reach the top of the steps, I saunter down the steep steps, and see the familiar sight of Alexa dosing off when she checks her phone in her hand. I shuffle over and sit down on the stool next to her as I always do every morning. I stab my fork into the eggs that are sitting next to me on the kitchen island, I look over to my right and see that Alexa is not sleeping at all and in fact she's hunched over her phone and typing furiously. She's probably trying to find out if the latest celebrity gossip is true or not.

"Oh my god," she says in shock. "Katy, did you see the picture of Marisa last night?"

I don't answer and she hands me her phone. I'm greeted by the sight of Marisa kissing another one of the school's athletes, specifically Josh Carson. I always thought that she wouldn't cheat on her boyfriend Noah, clearly, I was wrong because there is a picture of her kissing another guy that is now making the rounds on Instagram. I can't wait to hear what's going to go down between her and Noah today because there is no doubt in my mind that Noah has seen the picture. And he's always got his post notifications turned in, so, I know for a fact that there's a ninety-eight percent chance he's seen the picture.

I hand the phone back to my sister who looks over at me in shock. "I can't believe that she could do that to someone, I mean I know she's mean and ruthless but, this?" she says in disgust or shock, probably a little bit of both.

I roll my eyes. "I know, you'd think that she'd do that to me and not her own boyfriend," I say stabbing a piece of bacon.

I chew on my bacon and see that Alexa's still scrolling through the comments section of the post. "I thought they were just friends," she says in disbelief.