Chapter 20 (Halloween)

I wake up and walk over to my window and I see all of the jack-o-lanterns on people's front steps and ghost decorations hanging from the windows. I even see some high school students walking to their cars in costumes. I start to pack up my things to get ready for school and I see the costume that I neatly hung up on the back of my door.

Halloween is by far my favourite holiday. Being able to dress up in costumes and having people not know who you are. I think most of all it's because you get to pretend to be someone else for one day and not have people tell you that you should be yourself. Sometimes it's good to pretend to be someone, it gives you a break from what's happening. It's always been my favourite day of the year and I don't think that's going to change.

For the first time ever I have my friends dressing as a group and it's going to be one of the best in the school. I put on my pink cardigan and white blouse. After I get my dark wash denim jeans on I go and pull my hair into a high ponytail. Once I get downstairs I see that my suede ankle boots are right where I left them.

"Katy are you going to eat?" mom asks in a sarcastic tone.

I turn around and see that she's holding out a plate full of eggs and bacon. I take the plate from her hand and sit down on one of the stools. "Thanks, mom," I say.

I take big bites out of the eggs and toast that is about as soft as yolks get. That's the way I like eggs, soft boiled. Mom cleans up the mess that she made while making them and she starts wiping down the counters. "So are you excited for school?" she asks.

"You know me, it's my favourite day of the year" I reply wondering why she would even ask that.

"Of course, I was just kidding," she says pinching my cheek.

I push her hand off and she smiles because she knows that it bothers me when she pinches my cheeks or when she kisses me on the forehead.

"I'll take the dog for a walk and you get ready to go to school," mom says with a smile.

I get off my stool and put my plate on the counter. "Thanks, mom," I say skipping off to my room.

Of course, it's a typical fall morning and most of the leaves have turned from a dull green to beautiful shades of red and orange. This is why fall is my favourite season. I also see that all of the decorations are up at our house. All of the kids dread passing by our house when it gets dark on Halloween because they swear it's haunted. And I have to say, it does look like it could be home to a few ghosts from the outside.

I finish putting on my makeup and I head downstairs with my cat following close behind me. My mom is still trying to clean up the dishes and my dad is now awake and at the kitchen island eating a bowl of Cheerios. I hug both of them goodbye.

"Have a good day Sweetheart," dad says waving goodbye.

I smile and wave back at him and saunter out the door and wait for my ride to get here. I wait on the cobblestone walkway for about five minutes before a black Harley Davidson motorcycle pulls into the driveway.

Jake gets off the bike and hands me an extra helmet.

"I didn't think we were going to ride this to school today," I say surprised.

He shrugs his shoulders. "Well, we said that we wanted everything to be Spot on," he says in a falsetto voice to tease me.

I playfully slap him on the arm while getting on the back of the motorcycle.

He's just about to get onto the front of the bike when he walks towards the back of the bike and into the side box and pulls out a leather jacket.